Is DDR-2 or 550 GHz RAM Worth It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is DDR-2 or 550 GHz RAM Worth It?

Hey, I'm still working on putting a computer together, I've got the processor (AMD 64 3700+), the motherboard (ASUS A8V Deluxe- VIA K8T800 Pro), the video/sound cards (Radeon X800 and Audigy 2 Platinum), basically everything that I'm going to need to start building it... before I get into the whole cooling part, but now I'm at a crossroad on the RAM.

I know that DDR-2 RAM has a much higher bandwith, takes a lot less power to run then conventional DDR RAM and these are things that make it a lot better of a chip. But is it really worth getting the DDR-2 ram over conventional PC3200?

And then the next part is, if I do stay away from the DDR-2, should I opt for the PC4400 over the PC3200 for the closest to DDR-2 quality?

So many decisions, so many parts to build.
    Last edited by Quicksilver62160; 08-09-2004, 02:35 PM.

Re: Is DDR-2 or 550 GHz RAM Worth It?

To answer the question, no, but you can't use DDR-2 anyway. AMD hasn't yet accepted it and the motherboard doesn't make use of DDR-2 anyway.

Comment

Yep DDR-II will not work in that mainboard (it's Intel only atm and only with their latest chipsets) but PC4400 would be going well overboard (PC3500 with fast timings will do).

Comment

Ya, I knew that DDR-2 didn't work with any of the AMD processors. That's was prob the final deciding factor between getting a Xeon or waiting for a better Pentium processor versus getting the AMD 64 Athlon.

Since DDR-2 isn't all that it's cracked up to be, PCI-E is next to worthless for the next few years, and AMD has 3DNow Technology and a better overall processor, AMD has sealed my vote and the construction may begin.

I might overkill my machine with the 4400 though, it's just so sweet, and I can get 2 GB really cheap via my friend. He finds a lot of stuff that "falls off of trucks," if you understand. 2X 512 MB Corsair Extreme Platinum PC4400 RAM, only $296 (nearly $100 less than most places), *drolls.

Comment

I too am fixing to build a new toy. Already got the FX53 processor in s939 flavor and am now just waiting for a few motherboards to get in. Will be sweet to say the least!

I'll only be running 512MB system memory to begin with but may increase that if I decide it isn't enough. Should be fine for testing and gaming, though. I'll be posting the review of the processor when everything gets in so stay tuned.
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

Sounds like a sweet machine, I did some searching on the FX-53 too, I'll prob end up going that way too... it's just such an unmatchable processor, and if I'm going to pay so much damn money, I might as well spend as much as I can.

Finally, I've decided to order the OCZ Dual Latency PC-4000 (DDR-500) RAM, I checked out its overclock stats and it can do 282MHz FSB, the Geis PC-4200 (DDR-550) can only do a 287MHz FSB, and the Corsair I was gunnin for seems to do little more then they promise, generally 278MHz FSB... pitiful. So that'll help reduce the price of my system a bit ($164 to be exact).

Only goin for the 512 MB? Good startin position, I gotz 4 512's or will have 4 in my system. Is that an update to the comp in your siggy there, or are you buildin somethin completely new?

Got any good ideas for a tower to house my siggy?
            Last edited by Quicksilver62160; 08-09-2004, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X