ecc v non ecc and buffered v unbuffered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ecc v non ecc and buffered v unbuffered

My questions never seem to end. Looking for the memory is tough. I do not know enough about the differences between the different types of memory. Can anyone fill me in? What is the difference between buffered and unbuffered memory? What is the difference between ecc an non ecc memory? I have tried searching for the explainations at the various sites that make memory, but, they are tight lipped about it. Are the answers to these two questions something that everyone else already knows and thus never a topic of discussion.
    I admit that that could be the case. Can anyone help me out?

Basically it comes down to this... Unless you're creating a full blown business server, then stick with unbuffered non-ECC memory. Your memory buffering and ECC have to do with native error correction. In a performance machine, this can sometimes make your system run slower because it is verifying the integrity of all data flow going through the memory. Plus, many of the newer motherboards don't even work with ECC modules.

So save yourself a few bucks (and a lot of headaches) and get the cheaper non-ECC/unbuffered variety of memory. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

most typical motherboards don't support Registered ECC dimms anyway

Comment

Hey, I noticed some other things odd about choosing memory. The configuration? I see choices like 16x16 and 8x32 and other such choices. I know I am making this harder than it is, but I guess I like to understand what it is I am buying and why. I really want to go with corsair or crucial, 256M, memory. But I find it hard to choose memory compatible with my 8kha+ board. All the manufacturers have a compatibility table but do not list the epox 8kha+ board.
        Also, I was reading about the pc2400 corsair memory. Anyone know if this memory is compatible with my epox board. If it is, do any of you folks have an opinion whether or not it is worth the extra money.
        Always more questions.

Comment

I used Crucial's memory configurator, and found the Epox 8KHA+ ?

http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpe...ule=CT3264Z265
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

you are right. However you wont find the board at corsair, samsung, pny, or anywhere else that I can find. Even epox website lists compatible ram but when I use their info, the part no. dont show up. Might be human error, most definitely might. However your info is of great help and I guess that crucial is going to be my brand. Tired of looking around. Thanx alot.

Comment

Honestly Potatoe2 I don't think you will be too unhappy with Crucial RAM. They make a quality product, at a pretty fair price. I use it with no problems whatsoever and I believe the same can be said of probably several million other PC's.

But don't go buy it out of desperation/aggravation check out some of the forums online maybe where folks are talking about the Epox 8KHA+ and see what they are using for memory perhaps.

Good luck to you!:thumb:
              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

If it makes you feel any better, I use the EPoX 8KHA+ mainboard and have 512MB of the above listed Crucial DDR installed. It is very stable and overclocks well also. Crucial is owned by Micron, so that is the brand name of the memory that you would be using. Crucial is consistently being ranked with companies like Mushkin, so you can see that quality is key here.
                Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                My Toys

Comment

Please let me clarify myself. I know that crucial makes good memory. I had already narrowed my search to either corsair memory or crucial. I have heard arguments leaning both ways and others as well. It really matters not at all if I buy corsair or crucial. I navigated the crucial website at a suggestion earlier in this thread. The site appealed to me. I found out everything I wanted to know about memory and more. It may be a rather odd way to make a choice, but it was the tie breaker.
                  I chose the 8kha+ motherboard in a similar way. It was a toss up for me. The Asus A7k266A or the epox 8kha+. Darth, you were partial to the Epox and I know others in favor of the Asus. I Honestly flipped a coin. Both are favorably reviewed everywhere, could I have truly gone wrong? The same I think applies to Memory.

Comment

Right now, I can't speak for Epox yet, but I like Asus. I haven't bought all Asus boards as I'm trying to try out other companies, Epox on the bench sometime next week (just ordered a 8K3A+). Asus is expensive, but I feel they are well worth the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan_Lander
                      Right now, I can't speak for Epox yet, but I like Asus. I haven't bought all Asus boards as I'm trying to try out other companies, Epox on the bench sometime next week (just ordered a 8K3A+). Asus is expensive, but I feel they are well worth the money.
                      i too like(d) Asus...but not anymore, a short streak of success has gone to their heads and they seem to think that they're *the bomb*....especially vid cards, they go and put slower memory in and passive cooling if they can get away with it and sell for a much higher price...just because they include tonnes of stupid crap that most people won't want anyway....thats just my opinion, i did like then once though, i really did...

Comment

Working...
                      X