XP Home Edition Full- OEM question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Home Edition Full- OEM question

I am going to put XP home edition on the pc that i am currently building. If i order it know, will i be able to install it on this computer with out losing any of my files? I have ME on this computer. Do i have to buy the upgrade for this one, or can i install the XP full onto this computer without losing anything.

I know there is a means to port your data over, but I couldn't tell you how well it works. I always do a full install with a freshly formatted drive... after I save off important data of course. I guess that's the joy of having a CD-RW. I keep a box of 5 RW disks for just this occassion. Then when it comes time to do another fresh install, I can just overwrite the RW disk and off I go again.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

<a href="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=196">This article</a> written by our own wizard might be of use to you :)
      TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

the best way is to run the files and settings transfer wizard which will run of the cd you get. However you will need somewhere to transfere the backup it makes to, ie network location or cd burner, another HD etc.
        http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

I think I know what you are saying. Once you have installed the OEM version on your new equipment, you cannot use the same disc to upgrade your existing machine due to the activation requirement of Windows XP. Also the OEM disk will only allow you to:

1. Install in a new directory meaning you keep your files but have to reinstall your apps
          2. Format and install, losing files and apps

Comment

A new O/S will be far better with a CLEAN install....surely its not too much trouble to reinstall a few nick nacks.......at least you will give XP a chance to stuff things up from the start all by itself.....:?: :?:

Comment

I wudn't even bother upgrading an OS UNLESS there are programs that u dont have ne more and u really need, or u have no possible method of backing ur data up...ur upgraded os may work ok for a while, but after a couple of days it wil almost definatly screw up (talkin from eXPerience)

Comment

Working...
              X