Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fledgling Tweaker seeks advice for Athlon 2600 Barton Model 10

Hey all!

I just had a new comp built for me by a local business and went through quite a bit research before discovering which actual version of the 2600 I have. It was installed (and underclocked) at 1.53 Ghz. After advice I received from the alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd newsgroup, I was able to raise the FSB from 133 to 166 so it now runs at 1.93 Ghz. I was also informed that it's possible to run this chip at 2.13 Ghz. If it means spending more money (e.g. more cooling) then I'll just take what I've got.

My system stats are as follows:

Windows XP version 5.1.26 Service Pack 1
    Asus A7V8X-X Motherboard with 333 Mhz FSB, DDR 400, and AGP8X
    Two banks of 512k DDR 400 PC2700 RAM

Hope that's enough info for you! How far can I crank this baby up? I have two internal fans, one on top of the case (it's vertical), the other directly across from the heat sink. Keep in mind that I'm as green as grass when it comes to terminology, so please, be gently with me!

Thanks in advance!

David Simmons

Re: Fledgling Tweaker seeks advice for Athlon 2600 Barton Model 10

First thing to do is familiarize yourself with some of those terms you're shaky with. Here is a guide for overclocking AMD based processors. Though the processors used are now rather dated, the information is still valid for overclocking your system.

Now that we have that out of the way, the easiest way to formally identify your processor is to check out this Athlon ID page and insert the codes found on your processor. The scripts used are from data directly from AMD so it is valid.

As to how high you'll be able to go, there really isn't any telling. Every processor is different and while certain steppings may do well most of the time, the only real way to find out is to take the plunge and start playing with FSB and multiplier settings. Some Athlon's no longer allow multiplier manipulation, so I can't say for sure if yours will let you play or not.

Good luck!
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Working...
    X