Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updating Xfree86 4.2.0 withoug F*****G up. *S*??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating Xfree86 4.2.0 withoug F*****G up. *S*??

I know, I know... couldn't resist!

I downloaded the newer version of Xfree ver 4.2.0 for the Mandrake version. Took a long time, and when I run the script, it sort of replaced all kinds of stuff and hence not even so much as a little window to of much consequence.

I followed the install instructions:

sh Xinstall.sh

I get the prompts, but said yes to most of the questinos.. Perhaps that was a big mistake.

http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/Install3.html This is the page address it referrs to ... any suggestions?

I want to go to ver 4.2.0 to help resolve some issues with this NVIDIA T400/ MX 400 AGP card. What I read is there is a lot more support of this card with the 4.2.0 version.

Thanks in advance!!

Cheers

Mandrake 8.2 comes with XFree86-4.2.0 so you'd be better off downloading those rpm's and all the dependant packages. Before you install them back up /etc/X11 and /usr/X11R6. The easiest way to do that is (as root) do "cp -r /etc/X11 /etc/X11-old" and "cp -r /usr/X11R6 /usr/X11R6-old" then if the install goes wrong and X won't start you can recover by doing the same commands with the names reversed, "cp -r /etc/X11-old /etc/X11" etc...
    p-two.net

Comment

Hi Bern... Well I did run the script and it did back up those two "files". Long night. *S* So if it messed up by giving only a terminal window when I boot up, then I can restore them by typing the latter 2 lines then? Got a book at Barnes & Nobel yesterday about Linux and included 3 CD's for Red Hat Linux. I think Mandrake and Red Hat are very similar, or maybe I'm all wet.

I agree with the Mandrake 8.2 version having the necessary Xfree86 files on it. I checked with the local "COMP USA" and "Best Buy" but they don't have it as yet. I see at the website for Mandrake that is is available. I can pre-order, but hesitated as I didn't know when it would arrive. I choose (will choose) the multiple CD set w/o manual, as I have this manual and there are many at the local bookstore on Linux. Or, do you think getting the manual is a pretty necessary thing for a newbie?

I would like the wine emulation to work. We connect online through a "web beetle" that has a physical address. I can configure the Linxu Mandrake with the default gateway, and I am able to dial out through it and the external mode. Only problem, is disconnecting from the web beetle withough the SOHO Stat software. Check out www.protec.ca for information about the web beetle. It's programs are written for Windows (all) but not sure if they will run on Linux.

Question: Does Logitec have drivers for their optical wheel mouse for Linux Mandrake?

http://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.2.0/Install If you have the time sometime, take a look at the files on linux-ix86-glibc22 ( the one for mandrake). Is there a particular file that would update my X windows system to recognize the newer Nvidia cards? That way I will know when I do the upgrade, which one to answer yes to and which one to answer no to.

When I'm in GNOME, or KDE I have xwindow running. They advise NOT to have the $display running (set) and to do the insall/upgrade from a terminal window.. (perhaps this is my failing). How do I "quit" an x windows session or go strictly to terminal? IE, how do I get around the $display from running?

Bern, take a look at this web page, and you'll get an Idea of what I'm really talking about: http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.o/Install3.html

Cheers!

Comment

To address your question concerning Logitech hardware, unfortunately they have chosen to ignore the open source community.
        Witness the unfortunate restrictions they have placed upon the longevity of their company here; http://www.logitech.com/cf/support/32.cfm

A nuisance for owners of Logitech hardware, but a really bad business decision for them. (I have a Logitech webcam, given to me as a gift - but you can clearly see that I won't be spending my hard-earned money on their products ever.)

Perhaps there is a 3rd party set of drivers available somewhere?
        Or just maybe, some day they will awaken from their Microsoft induced stupor.

I'll keep looking for some 3rd party support for us both though.
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Kodak are the same with the open source community....I have a Kodak DC3200 digital cam that I cannot get a linux driver for at all and Kodak ignore requests for such drivers....I wonder how much they are in M$ pocket..... probably the price to pay to allow their own software on Window$ rather than exclusively M$ software???

Comment

I had a quick google for the web beetle and there are no specific linux utilities for it...maybe that can be a project for you :)
            With regards to wine, have a look at codeweavers, their rpm's have a GUI set up that make it easier for a newbie to configure. With the X upgrade and your nvidia card, just copy your XF86Config-4 to your home and use the info to edit the new one, for a logitech optical wheel mouse you need to this in the pointer section of XF86Config-4
            [code:1:0a09cb550f]
            Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

Identifier "Mouse1"
            Driver "mouse"
            Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
            Option "Device" "/dev/?
            Option "Buttons" "5"
            Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
            [/code:1:0a09cb550f]
            For /dev/? put what you have now. Linux only has one mouse driver but it has several protocols. To boot to a text login for the X upgrade edit /etc/inittab and change the default run level to 3, this is what I always have in mine and I do "startx" to get KDE going, that way if there is a problem with the X server it's easy to fix without going into an endless GUI login failure loop. If all else fails you can kill the X server with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.
            Mr C, what type of cam is it? There are several logitech cams that work under linux, can you tell me what model/chip it is?
            p-two.net

Comment

Actually, I stumbled across a likely driver while searching for Frost's mouse driver - See it pays to help others:D
              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Ha....good one :)
                I've got a CPiA chip usb web cam that works better in linux than it ever did under winders.
                p-two.net

Comment

Working...
                X