Did I break my 9800 pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I break my 9800 pro?

Ahhhhhhhh crap! I just wrote a long post and when i hit preview it requested me to log in! So ill do the shortened version
    It's Asus 9800 pro flashed to Xt with no problems for 3 months. Then when playing Star wars galaxies the fan broke and the card got to 200 degrees farenheit. So asus sent me a new fan and it worked for about a day but the fan burned out again and asus thinks it fan connector problem. Instead of sending it in for maintenence i bought a thermaltake gaint 3 GPU cooler with external power source. Worked well for about a month but a screw came loose and the fan started grinding. So i took it out, fixed it, and put it back in but something went wrong. Windows loading screen had multi colored lines, desktop was normal except for a line that would follow the mouse pointer. In warcraft 3 there was colored lines around highlighted areas in the menu screen. In game there was a multicolored grid covering the screen. The grid was like this:

--------||||||||||
    --------||||||||||
    --------||||||||||

I tried restarting, putting it back in, cleaning for dust etc. Don't know what to do. So now im sad and using a 64 mb geforce ti4200. Thank you for your time, and help is appreciated.

-c0ntra

Re: Did I break my 9800 pro?

Make sure your monitor is on before powering up the system and look to see if these lines and glitches are present during the POST screen. If so then it is a hardware issue and you've damaged your 9800 board.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

By post screen do you mean when it shows the motherboard info? Sorry, im a super noob. Thanks for the reply.

-c0ntra

Comment

Yes. POST (Power On Self Test) is the very first display you get when you power on your system. It commonly displays processor speed, system temperatures, memory amounts and the motherboard ID string information. Since the operating system hasn't loaded yet, this is only using hardware of the system. If you're getting the visual problems during this stage of system operation, the hardware is faulty.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

If you dont see them with the ti4200 the problem is with the Radeon, try it with default clock and RAM speeds and be carefull with static electricity when messing with the video card.

Comment

For the default clock and RAM speeds do you mean post-flashed to XT or pre-flashed to PRO? Thanks

-c0ntra

Comment

Flash it back to a Pro and see if that fixes your problem.

Comment

200F is only ~80C which isn't really too hot for a video card, so its possible whatever your using to cool it now is not sufficient

Comment

The thermaltake 3 giant keeps the GPU at 54 cent idle and 60 cent under work load. I checked out what other peoples temps were, and they were around 61 to 70 cent so i thought that the thermaltake was cooling well enough. Not sure though.

-c0ntra

Comment

Yeah, those temps are fine...I'd try flashing it back to the 9800pro as previously suggested.

Comment

Working...
                    X