Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just a few noob questions.(I have read stuff)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a few noob questions.(I have read stuff)

Okay Sorry for kinda popping in with a few newb l;ike questions im sure but I have read sevreal overclocking guides and im just in need of some clarification. I hope no one minds. If its a stupid question feel free to flame me . for all info I have an Albatron K8X800 MOBO and Athlon 64 2800 CPU.

1. stabilizing as you increase. I have heard that it is a good idea to set your modifier to a low setting as you increase your FSB. But is it best to set it to the lowest middle or what over all? when you reach into an unstable setting is it better to increase the voltage or what else. What should be fixed first second third so on? when increasing the voltage is it a good idea to increase by what interval? .1v .2v? any ideas?

2. Heat. I have a AMD athlon 64 2800 it runs around 70-80 farenheit. I am guessing that that heat isnt very high so what would be considered a little to hot? 100-110?

Re: Just a few noob questions.(I have read stuff)

1- It used to be common to set the multipler low and the FSB high since this forced your entire system to work faster instead of just the processor, but things aren't like they used to be. When you used to up the FSB, you also sped up the AGP/PCI/ISA channels too. With all the forced settings within BIOS, this isn't much an issue like it used to be. Your best bet is to experiment with both and see which works best for you. As to setting the multiplier, usually just 2-3 settings lower than default will work and you can adjust from there. Voltage should be adjusted upwards in as small an increment as available on your board. This produces a stronger (cleaner) signal and minimizes the risk of burning up the processor.

2- I haven't had the chance to play with Athlon 64 processors yet, but as long as you keep temperatures under about 50-55C or so you'll be fine. I always shoot for a lot lower temperatures, but then I'm picky. Oh, it is best to use degrees Celsius as your results since this is what a vast majority of folks use, even those in the US.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

oops hehe sry about the temp thingy I will try and learn Celcius :D

Comment

You probably don't have to... most thermal monitoring programs allow you to switch between the two or display both. Just use the Celsius readings and you'll be fine.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Working...
        X