Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

partitioning HD - where did my 40G go to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• partitioning HD - where did my 40G go to?

hi guys.

just re-installed XP on a clean drive. during installation, i partitioned the 80G drive into 2 equal parts and loaded XP onto C.
    now after i have finished installing, i want to initiate the "D" part of the drive.

i know that its done via "Disk Management" and is quite simple, but i keep getting an error -

"The disk configuration operation did not complete Check the System Event Log for more information on the error. Verify the status of your storage devices before retrying If that does not solve the problem, close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer."

sounds pretty easy, but tried and re-tried, and no luck.

any ideas?

thanks!

Re: partitioning HD - where did my 40G go to?

what did you partition with?

Comment

Are you trying to assign it a drive letter first? It won't work as you'll need to format the space before you can let Windows use it.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

I have the same problem. Was there a fix?

Comment

ive got a similar problem - i bought a PATA samsung spinpoint 160gb, format it as one whole partition, and 20gb goes missing. after xp was installed, in the disk management there was 20gb floating about unpartitioned. upon formatting this space as another partition, the operating system failed, calling for yet another install of windows.

could my disk be damaged?

Comment

For snooper and mods-n-odds: Click on Start, and right click on My Computer. Click 'manage'. Double click 'storage' once the window opens up. Double click Disk Management. You will then see your hard drives. On the bottom half you should be able to see the unpartitioned sections. You can partition them there by right clicking the upartitioned drive and format it.

Comment

That's all well and good apart from when you get this error:

"The disk configuration operation did not complete Check the System Event Log for more information on the error. Verify the status of your storage devices before retrying If that does not solve the problem, close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer."

The event log details are really good if you read HEX.

This error is all over the web but there is no solution. Seems to be an unrepairable error which must be on the bad side of the partion. After using hundred hdd I have never seen it until I came across this computer which had serious problems. After formatting and partioning the healthy part is fine. To be hornest I think the hdd is off to a better place

Comment

Working...
              X