Abit NF7-S2G overclocking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abit NF7-S2G overclocking.

I have already ordered this mobo and a 2500+ Barton.
    What a misstake!
    It looks like it is a bad overclocker. The non-existent multiplier is one thing, but I also read about other limiting factors (something about 2-phase and not 3-phase, limited voltage options and no CL 2 for memory).

The only thing that would make me keep it (when it arrives) is if I still can reach a stable 200 Mhz Fsb(400 effective), which means about 2.2 Ghz for the Barton(puts it maybe between 3000+ and 3200+).

Right now I also have 4*256 MB Twinmos 3200-memorys (CAS latency 2.5) which are working at about 425 Mhz right now (in my p4-based computer).
    I will test with 2 of these(2*256 Mb) and later possibly buy another brand.

Maybe I'll have to change the northbrige cooler(passive), since they say it gets pretty hot? What about the Zalman ZM-NB47J? It's passive but is said to be effective anyway?

I would like to know if anybody has experienced overclocks at or past 200 FSB with this mobo (with a 2500+ Barton)?

Does an update of the bios for this mb help oc or does it make it worse?
    Are there any modded bios;es for it out there, that helps oc:ing for it?
    Any other mods? Since there are no options for multipliers in Bios,the hardwaretricks for unlocking the multiplier seems to be out of question(what good would an unlocked multiplier be if you can't change the multipliers afterwards)...

Any modded bioses for this?

Since this is not my main computer I just need the 200 Fsb minimum. Then I also get the goodies, like really fast Raid, doublechannel memory and the gigabit-lan.

I have the option to return this mobo and exchange it for another mobo.

But that means a lot of extra money spent on delivery and the possibility that it could have worked pretty good anyway.

So what's the probability of success?

ie if you say "probably Reaching 200 fsb" --> It keep it!
    if you say "probably not reaching 200 fsb" --> It return it!
    <!-- / message -->

Re: Abit NF7-S2G overclocking.

I saw your other thread and skimmed through both as I'm too tired to really read through them...

The NF7-S2G is not meant for overclocking, from what I've heard. The NF7-S2 is the overclockers motherboard. That said, there's a decent chance you can make 200FSB with it. You limiting factor will most likely be cooling. If you don't get good CPU temps prior to OCing, you'll get stuck. I wouldn't worry too much about the Northbridge and all that. If you can't change the multiplier, then cooling will become a huge issue and you won't be able to reach even close to 200MHz FSB unless you have an expensive CPU HSF or even water cooling.

But if you really want to know, just try it. Figure it out on your own. Unless the place you ordered from what take back opened stuff, try it and see if it does what you want it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
      I saw your other thread and skimmed through both as I'm too tired to really read through them...

The NF7-S2G is not meant for overclocking, from what I've heard. The NF7-S2 is the overclockers motherboard. That said, there's a decent chance you can make 200FSB with it. You limiting factor will most likely be cooling. If you don't get good CPU temps prior to OCing, you'll get stuck. I wouldn't worry too much about the Northbridge and all that. If you can't change the multiplier, then cooling will become a huge issue and you won't be able to reach even close to 200MHz FSB unless you have an expensive CPU HSF or even water cooling.

But if you really want to know, just try it. Figure it out on your own. Unless the place you ordered from what take back opened stuff, try it and see if it does what you want it too.
      Thanks for the reply!

I thought the only difference between the S2 and S2G was the gigabit-lan that is included with the S2g? I really would have liked the "S V2" but with the gigabit support.
      The naming is confusing to say the least. NF7-S with bios rev 2.0, NF7-S v 2.0, NF7-S2 and NF7-S2G..

Abit NF7;s are known to be good overclockers why did they change a winning concept? And fooled me at the same time....(and a lot of others from what I can see). Not a lot of reviews around and it's hard to get to them. The manual that could be downloaded was even wrong!

Anyway... Isn't the cpu-cooling requirements the same for this mobo as for any other NF7 when working with locked Bartons? I thought this mobo was different from the others(in the cooling department) because the new northbridge needed more cooling?

Comment

As I said, I was tired. I assumed you were using an unlocked 2500 Mobile for some reason. It should overclock just fine, then, assuming the only major difference is the lack of multiplier control.

Comment

I know people knock the NF7-S2, but the new BIOS release supports CL2 RAM, and I get my 2500+ running at 2.42GHz with a 440MHz BIOS stable (9 hours on Prime95 torture test).

It will push to a 450MHz BIOS, but Prime95 fails fairly early on.

My Northbridge gets reasonably hot, but not hot that it burns the skin, so I leave it as it is. Also I raise the voltage of my CPU to 1.7V to get more stability.

Comment

It's the NF7-S2G that's the problem... The NF7-S2 is considered to be the best overclocking socket A motherboard out there.

Comment

I would agree with that. The NF7-S (rev 2) is a joy to work with. Also, changing the multiplier isnt really an issue unless you have an AQXEA stamped barton processor. I think after that production they locked the multiplier?

Im not sure about this, but I know the AQXEA bartons are awesome OC'ers (mine is happlily running at 2.31GHz)

What is the NF7-SG2? I have not heard of this board before.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                It's the NF7-S2G that's the problem... The NF7-S2 is considered to be the best overclocking socket A motherboard out there.
                The intent of your post is quite accurate, but you have the names of the boards wrong. There are three NF7-based motherboards from Abit that all have very similar names:

NF7-S (v.2)
                _This_ is the proper designation of the "best overclocking socket A motherboard".

NF7-S2
                This is NOT the same as the NF7-S (v.2) board. It is also a based on an NForce2 chipset, but has some huge differences when compared to the NF7-S (v.2). Specifically, this board does not have SoundStorm, did not supported CAS 2 latency (until recently, I understand), and does not support anywhere near the overclocking options as the NF7-S (v.2). Here is a comparison from phoronix: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...&item=41&num=1

NF7-S2G
                This board is just the NF7-S2 with a copper gigabit interface instead of fast-e.

Comment

Yeah, I just looked up no that. Looks like you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by bandicot
                    NF7-S (v.2)
                    _This_ is the proper designation of the "best overclocking socket A motherboard".
                    Sad part is my old KG7Raid and OCd my Tbred 1700B better than my NF7-Sv2 :(
                    But I dont really care too much anymore.

Comment

A “band-aid” fix for overclocking a Barton Mobile XP processor on an ABIT NF7-S2G motherboard.

I'm posting a reply to this long seemingly dead thread because it came up first for me on a search for overclocking an S2G with Barton mobile processor - in fact, it was the only real posting I found on the matter. Hopefully, somebody else may find this helpful before they fleabay or otherwise toss their S2G in disgust.

I was making a cheap server and didn't need SoundStorm, or the back-panel ports this board is missing and thought it would serve the purpose. I've made lots of NF7-S (2.0) machines, and a few other NF7 series machines and was always really happy with them. Not so with this board.

I purchased it and a mobile Barton 2500+, planning to overclock it as always, but this board will not allow multiplier changes. The best I was able to do was to bump the FSB to 200Mhz (a little more, actually, but you get the point), getting a whopping 200x6=1.2Ghz processor out of it. NOT acceptable! I've got several Barton 2500+'s working at over 2.5Ghz on air, and 1.2Ghz just won't do.

Fortunately, there is a little fix that requires a tiny piece of wire and a steady hand, allowing higher speeds that will work on this board. It forces the minimum multiplier to 13x. For the 2500+, it will default to 14x. 14x166=2.3Ghz. Now we're talking! Once the 14x multiplier is enabled, you can stretch your mobile Barton in the S2G as far as you care to via FSB adjustment.

*** If done wrong, you may ruin your motherboard AND/OR processor.
                      *** Please, double check your work!
                      *** Standard disclaimers should be assumed beyond this point.

It's not a completely unknown modification, but isn't widely known either. Browse here or see below to see how it's done:
                      http://www.hwspirit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57

For the wire, I took an old floppy drive cable, sliced one wire. The wire was composed of 8 little strands of wire, each barely the thickness of a hair. Total length was about 1/4 inch, bent into a "U" shape. With a small needle nose pliers, a good light and a steady hand, in 5 minutes I was at 2.3Ghz with my Barton 2500+ and NF7-S2G.

Image copied from hwspirit.com. Credits to them!

Comment

Working...
                      X