PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Knight II

volton
04-01-2002, 12:20 PM
Is Anyone playing this game yet ? Looks good but needs a min Ti200 to appreciate the game ive been told

Quake III engine generallly looks good anyway :king:

Morgan_Lander
04-01-2002, 01:04 PM
I've played it through once already, and now I'm trying to get through the levels without cheating. Unfortunately, that's rather difficult as half the levels don't end upon completion of all objectives. Currently, I'm done with the 5th level, but the damn thing won't acknowledge that I've reached a certain ship. Obviously, this is pissing me off. I really wish that the game didn't have these level ending flaws, as they spoil an otherwise perfect single player game.

jaani
04-01-2002, 05:52 PM
They butchered it.
The scum-sucking two timing *******s at Raven butchered what was once the best single-player FPS series of all time.

Where to begin....
*considers the effort required to write a 3000 word criticism, then reonsiders* Here's a short precie (sp?): :)

I think morgan lander's experience pretty much summarises the generally buggy nature of the game. Problems with event triggers, scripting is unreliable at best, massive swimming/leaving/entering water bugs, invisible wall bugs, general graphical glitches, and various other annoyances.

Stormtroopers are no longer an enemy. In Dark Forces it required every ounce of skill to dodge laser blasts, bolts, and other nasties launched at you by the surprisingly resourceful AI. In JK2:JO, however, you simply walk into a room with the lightsaber out, laugh at the 30-40 enemies swarming around you, go get a cup of coffee, come back 30 minutes later to see that you've lost 0 health and there are 30-40 dead bodies on the floor. They call it "projectile deflection", but this force effect is way to pronouned. It ruins gameplay. Once you get the lightsaber you can play through the entire game without switching weapons once.

Then we have the secret areas. In the original DF2:JK and MoTS there was this amazing sound that played whenever you found a secret (and the screen flashed a lurvely tinted blue), very REWARDING. No such luck for JK2:JO.

Also, you don't actually get ANYTHING for finding secret areas, just a pat on the back when you go onto the next level and smile with satisfaction at your prerfect stats...*ahem*. In JK1 secrets gave you 'force points' with which to upgrade your force stats, again, no such luck in JK2:JO (see below). In addition to this, there are bugs (!) that on some levels prevent you from discovering all the secrets.

< spoiler > For example in ns_streets, a trigger event does not run which prevents discovery of the SECOND secret in the bar at the beginning of the level< /spoiler > Most annoying! Further, the secrets are very - and I mean VERY - easy to find. Some simply involve making prolific use of force jump to get to an obvious platform (read: JUMPING PUZZLE).

In JK1 it would be more like: "hunt around for 10 minutes, shooting at strangely marked textures; find a well-hidden grate in a dark corner of the room; emerge into a vast cavern and be greeted with the ever-satisfying 'secret area' message, navigate a hoard of droids ('avail the defender' whahahaha :laugh:) and get some goodies."

Perhaps most annoying of all is the fact that the secret areas don't actually give the player anything USEFUL. Usually bacta canisters or ammo...umm, yay....and forgive my lack of enthusiasm (espcially considering there is a force power that allows you to instantly heal yourself, and force energy replenishes - hence: unlimited bacta). :angryfire:

The little thingeths doth maketh the gameth. ;)

Other crap (or largely disappointing) things about the game:

Soundtrack - comprised of 2-3 tracks of 3:00min each, very repetitive, not the usual John Williams standard, poor orchestral rendition.
AI in general.
Very poor level design - linear, boring, uninteresting missions (in DF and JK1/MotS you'd be overwhelmed by the sheer size of levels, get lost and utterly confused and frustrated by their labyrinthine properties; JK2:JO, however, lacks all these qualities that made the previous games in the series the classics that they are; they are clearly catering for a mainstream audience, the kind of people who cheat to finish a game [no offence morgan :D ...also, in level 5 there is a trigger command to bypass the bug, check the lucasforums for more info, I didn't encounter this problem but I know many other people that did].
Force powers, you can't choose light or dark side, you can't choose which powers to max out, it's ALL automatically generated which drastically lessens the replay value and makes the game BORING.

Perhaps I am being a little harsh. As an avid DF fan this game could ONLY be a disappointment to me. That said, I think Raven did an OK job in bringing the series forward; however, they neglected several key things make a good game - namely, GAMEPLAY.

And even the graphics aren't as good as everone's saying they are. Of course, graphics are always secondary to gameplay, but the low quality textures and disgustingly sparse player models leave much to be desired.

MP is pretty good, however. :)
Ahhh....../me feels mucho better now. SLASH rant. :D
Scuse long post.

Beefy
04-01-2002, 08:52 PM
*points to jaani*

The force is strong in this one.... but there is much hatred in him as well.....

[/bad Star Wars pun]

volton
04-02-2002, 05:35 PM
Does this mean i should get the game *not* :laugh:

daedalus
04-02-2002, 05:59 PM
Does this mean i should get the game *not* :laugh:

atomic mag gave it 9 or 9.5 or something good....its strange how different peoples views on different games can be...really you should try it before you decide its crap volton:p

jaani
04-03-2002, 12:11 PM
*points to jaani*

The force is strong in this one.... but there is much hatred in him as well.....

LOL Beefy. hehe just venting...mwahaha :devil win

Anyone considering the game should definitely give it a go; MP is excellent fun (played it at a LAN recently, Lightsaber duels rock!), and despite the points I mentioned above it is still an excellent game. Hardly a 9.5/10 or whatever Atomic gave it (*cough* unlike more reputable *cough* gaming mags) but still an enjoyable Star Wars romp nonetheless.

Uhoh, I feel myself ranting again. *slaps self* :D

daedalus
04-03-2002, 04:07 PM
yeah...i could go for a light saber duel right now...shwing, shwing...*drool*

Beefy
04-03-2002, 04:44 PM
shwing shwing? what, is it wayne and garth having the duel or something? :)

Bahamut Zer0
04-03-2002, 05:07 PM
Very observant Beefy. I believe the text based version of a light sabre being swung is a little something like this:
Schwong Schwararaaa Shroorccch

Anyway, lets hope Raven did good with SoF2:Double Helix.

Wiggo's-sister
04-03-2002, 06:00 PM
jaani, did you see the review these guys give the game. Maybe you should write to them and offer a little advice.

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/0,11114,516547,00.html)

Shepps
04-03-2002, 09:05 PM
JD2 looks really good although i aint played it yet (gettin tomorrow :D) all the mags i read have rated highly.....SOF 2 looks amazing!!!!!

volton
04-04-2002, 11:16 AM
Uhoh, I feel myself ranting again. *slaps self*

Looks like i will get the game then :p LOL

Dinkus
04-04-2002, 01:09 PM
Well i bought the game, and i completely agree with everything Jaani has said. If you have played the original at all then you will be thoroughly disappointed. Like he said there is really only one good thing about the game, and that is the MULTIPLAYER WOOHOO trust me it is insanely fun. The different configurations of force powers make every game unique, and what is also great about them is that whichever configuration you chose you can actually own others by sheer skill. Speaking of skill if your good with a lightsaber you can kill just about anything. But in multiplayer, unlike single, it is not that easy. I only bought the game for the multiplayer, so i can say that i am not as disappointed as most. If you like good multiplayer and you have broadband, a good vid card (works great on my GF2 GTS) then you cant go wrong buying this game.:p

JediAgent
04-11-2002, 09:41 AM
Im getting it.
MP is what its all bout anyway. SP is just the three day finger work out that gets you ready to slice and dice online.

It doesn't look like Raven is company comprised of... ah... force-strong Jedis, but updates should aid in bug removal.

And if i didn't i wouldn't be a Jedi.

Bahamut Zer0
04-11-2002, 02:47 PM
Im getting it.
MP is what its all bout anyway. SP is just the three day finger work out that gets you ready to slice and dice online.

Thats the trouble with games these days. Think about the time you devote to a game you play online. To stay 'good' at the particular game you gotta play the game. Now factor in games are released all the time and what do you end up with? a 90+ $$ game that is shelved after a few weeks because you simply cannot keep playing it online because youve lost interest / another game has come out and looks better. Then the vicious circle starts again.

Very few games are singleplayer oriented these days. Sure, MOA had some pretty sweet scenes in the campaign mode, but how many times have you played through it? once? maybe twice?
RtCW? I finished it the afternoon I got it.
Ghost Recon? (It pains me to say this) not even a weekends worth of solid single-player gameplay. I love Ghost Recon, but they really dropped the ball with the lack of sp campaigns.

I just spent the last 4 days playing Dark Forces 2:Jedi Knight right through to the end. 4 hours itll take me to play JKII right through and what a bore that was.

Go down to your local store and pickup Deus Ex.
Next month lemme know how far youve got.

that killa
04-11-2002, 06:17 PM
i completed deus ex in under a week first time round.... but i did have the week off from any work :)

and dam that was a good game :)

JediAgent
04-12-2002, 02:54 AM
Oh lord, i just rememered i got Dues ex in a package with my SBLive! 5.1 Platinum over a year and a half ago. Sorry cant post anymore, install process is taking up entire screen.

Bahamut Zer0
04-12-2002, 08:45 AM
Play Deus Ex on hard mode and put all your stats into melee combat skills.

I did that last year just before xmas. Still going. (although, i only play it once or twice a week, im stuck in hk still, getting the sword back from the white dudes)

Its an awesome game. Dont bother getting the 40+meg multiplayer patch though. very few people were interested in multiplayer, and when it came out, those that were, werent anymore.

Undying is another great sp game.
Rune, Dark Forces 2, Rainbow Six series (esp Rogue Spear), Unreal...the list goes on

that killa
04-12-2002, 09:49 AM
i have to say i never tried hard without using skill points... i always used them, but anyway

never actually tried the multiplayer... i had 56k modem back then and couldn't b arsed to download it, and seeing it didn't have much praise i just didn't see the point...

might do now tho... hehe love cable :) be done in 15mins

hmmmmmmmmmmm :angel:

and yeah soo many good games just dying now :(

ah well, hopefully some good/better games will come out soon...

cs however strong as ever :)

JediAgent
04-12-2002, 09:56 AM
yeah, CS is still alive. for now.
I just wish there wasnt the prevalent cheating. Its a integral part of the game for newbies, thats sad.

Beefy
04-12-2002, 11:01 AM
Clive Barker's Undying and American McGee's Alice were two of the best games i've played recently for a single player FPS. the way everything had been done and the atmosphere was incredible.. Also, Serious Sam 2 was a lot of fun as well. Especially the last level... but the novelty of SS2 wears off pretty quickly..

Bahamut Zer0
04-12-2002, 11:12 AM
Undying was awesome.

But you could tell that the dev team werent really putting much effort into it with those last few stages in the wood/caveman world. The game turned into max payne mode at that point.

Killing the end boss was interesting tho. I had sfa ammo, and nfi how to kill him.

I love it when they make you improvise.

Having the end bos walk around in a huge open area with crates all around him with more then enough weapons and health is pointless.
*cough* RtCW *cough*

Alice wasnt too bad either.

X-Com 3 is another awesome game. Thatll eat a month or so of gaming.
Hidden & Dangerous, Operation Flashpoint for some ww strat/combat.
The Wheel of Time is another (esp if youve read any of Jordans books)
Thief, Thief 2 are worth their weight in gold.

Its depressing that the companies behind most these games have gone under. Damm kids and their short attention spans.

Beefy
04-12-2002, 11:24 AM
wheel of time was great to start with, but it sorta wore thin later on... and the game was a little buggy at times too.. still fun though.

JediAgent
04-12-2002, 11:41 AM
Max Payne was quite fun. For two and a half days after work and school. Too easy. Between bullet time and quicksaves, you shouldn't even have to get hurt. Hack it to beat it once, and then start on the hardest level.

I just got through Thief 2 (part of the SBLive package again) and that was kewl until you hit the religious cult crap. There should have been "hidden" levels that you got to by getting hidden stashes. (Like DOOM) That got me hooked for a few days.

I installed Deus eX, but havent played it yet. Installed MDK2 anbd found that to be fun until the third level with the stupid profesor.

RtCW was ROCKIN' but the end boss was kinda stupid. I can kill him in under 45 sec now.

I still want to get throu Sacrifice. that loses interest when you cant kill anybody after the 5th level up, even with 3 or 5 different missions to choose from.

that killa
04-12-2002, 11:41 AM
yeah well... :flames:

JediAgent
04-12-2002, 11:42 AM
Oh yeah, and burned SOF, want to see SOF2 very badly.

volton
04-12-2002, 12:44 PM
Oh yeah, and burned SOF, want to see SOF2 very badly.

Me too , loved the violence in sof looks great :shoot:

JediAgent
04-24-2002, 07:32 AM
Well, i can say Dues Ex has successfully frustrated the hell out o me. Im in Hong Kong at the MJ12 chopper landing place trying to get out. Maybe i should quicksave more often....

I hate JK2 SP, but JK2 MP ROCKS! If anyone is really good and wants to setup a small MP game to help me out/or get your butt whooped (whichever) send me a email. I think its in my profile.

I think im gonna quit all other games when Galaxies launches in Dec. THats the Star Wars MMORPG. It looks cool. By then ill have to put more time into school anyway, so might as well cut down on the gaming... i said cut down, not cut out btw.

Beefy
04-24-2002, 07:57 AM
Galaxies.. another 'widow-maker'... :(

JediAgent
04-24-2002, 09:01 AM
so your gonna play too?

Beefy
04-24-2002, 09:12 AM
nope. I don't have the time to dedicate to playing those games properly. I like my life the way it is...

JediAgent
04-24-2002, 09:18 AM
...you mean sitting on the couch like in the pic?

Beefy
04-24-2002, 09:25 AM
... yes.. :(

But still, I don't have to check on the couch every few minutes to see what's been happening. Unlike MMORPGs....

JediAgent
04-24-2002, 09:30 AM
Well we'll just get everyone in TT to chip in to buy you a wireless mouse and keyboard, so you can...

Beefy
04-24-2002, 09:37 AM
but i don't wanna get sucked in to a widow-maker..

JediAgent
04-24-2002, 09:47 AM
what do you mean by that? I could sell you a widow-maker, but from what i remember, you cant have one without a permit in Aus.

Beefy
04-24-2002, 09:52 AM
i've got a permit though.. :)

and i'm talking the MMORPG-type widowmaker...

JediAgent
04-24-2002, 09:53 AM
I was wondering why MMORPG's are widow makers...

Beefy
04-24-2002, 09:55 AM
cos people (guys mainly) sit there and play and play.. and it kills their lives.. so their wives are basically left widowed.. Their husband doesn't really exist anymore.. :( it's sad.. but it's true...

JediAgent
04-24-2002, 09:58 AM
I think people should be warned about that possibility! Put addictive warning labels on games!

Beefy
04-24-2002, 10:00 AM
Well it is a serious problem.... Need Gamers Anonymous or something.. but people would be too busy playing to attend.. :(

JediAgent
04-24-2002, 10:06 AM
I was kidding, if playing games to long is your biggest problem, you obviously haven't started high school yet, and if you have.... try paying rent with the money earned playing games 40hrs/week, thats a wake up call.

Beefy
04-24-2002, 12:11 PM
A few of us here know of a certain household.. where there are a few guys who basically play Dark Age of Camelot whenever possible.. and I mean whenever possible.. it's really sad

daedalus
04-24-2002, 12:27 PM
Diablo II is another example of a sleep deprivingly/wife leavinging addictive game:hmph:

Beefy
04-24-2002, 12:38 PM
not as much.. there's not as much community / interaction in that. You can put it down, come back later and nothing will have changed... Whereas in the MMORPGs, the world keeps turning while you ain't there...

JediAgent
04-24-2002, 12:58 PM
Back to JK2JO...
Anyone want to play me?

Beefy
04-24-2002, 01:04 PM
no.. :)

well, once I get the game, maybe... but until then.. no..

Olie
04-24-2002, 01:05 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :afro:

Beefy
04-24-2002, 01:08 PM
Enough with the smiley posts already.. :)

JediAgent
04-24-2002, 01:10 PM
You have high speed internet, Beef?

Beefy
04-24-2002, 03:24 PM
at work, yeah.. at home, no.. :(

JediAgent
04-24-2002, 03:28 PM
email me if you want it (JK2JO)

Beefy
04-24-2002, 03:35 PM
I would.. but there's two things...

1) I don't know your email

2) I'm getting it this weekend..

:D

JediAgent
04-24-2002, 03:43 PM
1) It's in my profile

2) That costs money

Ill remember to offer you favors in the future.

Beefy
04-24-2002, 03:45 PM
1) I'm lazy

2) who said anything about buying it?

Feel free.. :D

JediAgent
04-24-2002, 03:49 PM
1) If your lazy, me sending it in an iso is better than having to pick it up at a friends house or at the store

2) Most people buy stuff, if you weren't going to buy it, i figured you'd have it already

3) When you do get it, im gonna beat the crap out in it. And forget to offer free stuff from now on.

Beefy
04-24-2002, 08:41 PM
1) My laziness still lets me go to the LAN i'm going to this weekend to get it

2) I haven't felt the need to actively go out and get it.. It's basically falling in with my plans for the weekend. so i'm stumbling across it

3) I'm sure you can use the force better than me. Selfish git...

:)

that killa
04-24-2002, 08:52 PM
jk2 rulez (full stop) :)

Bahamut Zer0
04-24-2002, 09:47 PM
Thats a dirty lie and you know it.

Beefy
04-24-2002, 09:55 PM
yeah.. how can you say full stop when it's just words in brackets.. shame on you.. :)

that killa
04-24-2002, 11:27 PM
yes.......................

JediAgent
04-25-2002, 03:18 AM
I keep looking at these past 4 posts, but i still dont understand how the conversation came down to "yes......."

Im confused... Killa, you wanna play JK2JO MP?

Beefy
04-25-2002, 12:40 PM
like things make sense around here.. :)

Wiggo's-sister
04-25-2002, 02:58 PM
They do if you look at it from the other persons point of view :crazy:

JediAgent
04-25-2002, 04:57 PM
like the view of that smilie - :crazy:

Wiggo's-sister
04-25-2002, 10:34 PM
Something like that I guess :confused:

that killa
04-26-2002, 12:52 AM
yes........... hehe yay confused you!

might do some time... i still a nOOb at it tho.... mind u so are most people :)

Thoric
04-30-2002, 08:21 PM
well ive done a fairly lengthy session on playing Jedi Knight II, and got the lightsabre, and its pretty good that you have various attacks and styles...as for the sound, some complained about it being repetative, i find it OK, not too bad...sounds like its being ripped straight out of the 3 movies...graphics are pretty good on my box (specs below), with details on medium, 1024x768x16bit color.

in my opinion its better than the jedi knight 1, but i havent played mysteries of the sith. the storyline is very good, gameplay could be better with more force flexibility, but a good game nevertheless...yet to try multiplayer...:(

JediAgent
05-01-2002, 01:20 AM
...yet to try multiplayer...:(

Than you have yet to try the best part of the game...

that killa
05-01-2002, 02:26 AM
here here....... jk2 online is dam good :)

Shepps
05-02-2002, 07:25 PM
i want to play.....:(

that killa
05-03-2002, 12:03 AM
well hook your comp to the net and not ya dads, u muppet :P
:D

lol anyway :)

JediAgent
05-03-2002, 01:24 AM
SHepps is a muppet!?!?!
Shepps, if you wanna play, get my email in my profile, or go to the ICQ/MSN thread and we'll setup a MP game.

that killa
05-03-2002, 03:47 AM
i play cs with him.... he is a muppet so say i so there :P

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D