This right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This right?

I'm only get like 30-60fps in most outdoor places in far cry at all high settings res at 1280x1024 with this setup:

AMD64 3500+
    Asus A8V Deluxe
    Crucial 512mb Ballistix
    Evga 6800GT

Re: This right?

Doesn't sound right at all.

How did you go about installing drivers? It should be done like so:

Service Pack 1 or 2 (for XP, that is), if needed
    Chipset (via.com)
    Direct X 9.0C (microsoft.com)
    Video card drivers (nvidia.com)
    Sound drivers (realtek.com)
    Other drivers
    Software

It's also possible you just have things setup poorly. Go through www.tweakguides.com and read the applicable guides. Particularly, the Windows XP Tweaking Guide (I'm assuming you're using Windows XP or at least 2000).

Comment

I believe chipset comes before service packs, since you need chipset to operate most ethernet cards onboard or pci extensions.
      CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
      Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
      RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
      GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
      PSU: Thermaltake 500w
      SC: Audigy 2 zs
      LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
      Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
      Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Not if you can help it. In fact, some chipset drivers require (well, they tell you to install it first in the documentation) you to have Service Pack 1. If you have it downloaded already, it's best to install it first or, better yet, integrate it with the installation CD.

Comment

Oh, i guess then, but most of the time, for most of the mobos i had, i had to install chipset drivers before service packs.
          CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
          Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
          RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
          GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
          PSU: Thermaltake 500w
          SC: Audigy 2 zs
          LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
          Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
          Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Modern motherboards ask for the SP1 to be installed before the chipset drivers so that USB 2.0 will be enabled properly when you install the mainboard drivers.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

okay, well, I guess I shouldn't have left out that I installed XP with the latest software, which includes SP2. I believe, I'm not sure because it was late and I was tired, but I think I installed windows, then the asus mobo disk (most likely I ran the disk and got the new hyperions off viaarena.com), the the video drivers (from guru3d.com, the latest uhh 66.81) then sound from creative labs site (audigy2 zs), then uhh... I think that's it. Those fps were with patch 1.2 as well. Oh and dx9 comes with the xp software I believe. Reinstalling windows would be a pain in the ass, and it's a system I build for my brother, and he has it already, so he wouldn't like the sound of that. Also he might not even want to play far cry I was just using it as an example. I also installed star wars battlefront and rome total war (first battle -small scale), both set at max res and settings ran flawlessly.

Comment

Try this. Service Pack 2 shouldn't hurt performance that much. However, I'd suggest you keep cheking www.tweakguides.com until Persian finishes his XP Tweaking Companion, which should give good advice for those using SP2.

What other games have you tried, besides those three? If it's just FarCry, then reinstalling that might be a way to fix it (try reinstalling it and then not immediately patching; maybe the patch causes it).

Comment

Far Cry - before and after it was patched to 1.2

Star War Battlefront - Ran flawless at max settings & 1280x1024 res

Rome: Total War - Max settings as well 1280x1024 res. Only a small battle though so I don't know how the bigger stuff will be, but again, no choppies whatsoever. I should get fraps and check it, but I doubt it went below 60fps.

-I don't know how this tweaking will help. Most of the stuff in the guides I usually do. Besides the fact that the games were played with virtually nothing else on the system. I ran 3DMark05 and 03 before any games. '05 was about 4500 and '03 was 10800.

-And by reinstalling, do you mean just the game or the whole OS?
                  -I've also got the latest drivers from guru3d.com, like 66.81 or something.

Comment

The game.

I know where you got the drivers. Use nVidia. Guru3d didn't make the video card, try the actual drivers forom nvidia.

Comment

Different video divers may make a little difference in your results with certain games/programs. It has been my experience that newer drivers usually mean improved performance even if they are beta version but there are exceptions. BTW 66.81 drivers are posted on Nvidia (beta section). The Guru3d version is the same.
                      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Working...
                      X