Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burner

Howdy peoples,

I'm considering getting myself a burner, now that's the easy part but that the leaves the hard part about which burner to get. Are there any dodgy ones to stay well clear of or any really great stand out ones or are they all pretty much the same ?

I'll also need an IDE card or something as I've got no IDE ports left on my mobo. Any suggestions there also ?

Thanks.

FrodgE

i've got 2 Ricoh's here, both are working fine, one is about 2 years old, the other is about 1.5 yers old, no probs, very happy with both
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Coolies, Ricoh make the top of the line models too don't they ? In which case rather expensive. Pay for quality I guess huh ?

Thanks for your input Andy !

Anyone got any input as far as an addition IDE card is concerned ?

Thanks again people !

Comment

Burner choices basically come down to what you want to spend.. if you are willing to put in the money, then nothing will beat a Plextor drive.. They are way above my budget though, so I've got / had both a Lite-On drive and a Sony drive.. both have been great to me...

As for an IDE card, just make sure that it's properly supported by your operating system and it should be ok.. IDE cards aren't really all that techincal, so there shouldn't be that much difference between brands.. (until someone else says differently.. then you listen to them.. :D )

Comment

Hey Frodge,
          I dont know if us Yanks are allowed in here..But, make sure that what ever type of CDRW you purchase has buffer-underun protection.Most of the Big Boys have some kind of BU protection....And I've found that BU is the most common cause of wasted disks....Have a good one!
          Starry

Comment

GET A LG-GCE 8320b......it can burn everything,including copy protection on games(like safedisc 2.51).Has buffer underun tech. too.Best burner for the $$$.TRUST ME!PLUS its super fast...32x10x40 <------ Go with LG.

Comment

I have had good success with my Lite On. No problems backing up copyrighted disks. Not a single coaster. From personal experience, I think the HPs are not worth what you pay for them.

My $.02
              JM
              Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

Originally posted by JealousMidget
                I have had good success with my Lite On. No problems backing up copyrighted disks. Not a single coaster. From personal experience, I think the HPs are not worth what you pay for them.

My $.02
                JM

yes...i belive the Lite-on burners are te best value. Very cheap and can burn copy prodected disc aswell....go lite-on, 32X is around $200 AUS

Comment

My LG drive rocks!

Comment

Anyone who owns a Liteon burner want to tell me about the warranty period on them, I am yet to have a Liteon drive last more than a Year and a half, and have not touched them for a few years? Apparently they only come with a one year warranty if that is the case I would rather pay the extra bucks for something with more substantial coverage.

Comment

the early model Lite-On were, to be honest, pieces of ****e. Just recently they've gotten their act into gear and started making some good quality burners. Anything 24x + by them is quality... :)

Comment

Lite-on 40X read 24X write 10X Re-write for $149 @ www.cws.net.au . The Lite-on is able to burn to 99 minute CD's (Tom's Harware Guide were able to get 900MB on one of these CD's) when they become available in Australia too!

Comment

Actually the 12x liteon burners begun their rocket to fame.
                          These burners also took hacked firmwares to turn them into 14/16x burners too. The 16x sorta did EMF writing, the 24x definatly did. (its what ive gots)

Few weeks ago the 32x and 40x were a waste of time and money because of their price, and the fact they burnt cds about 8secs faster than the model below them.
                          Now their prices are really, really close together. So get the latest and greatest i say!

Comment

I'm starting to look a little more serriously now. I've now got a job (guess I should change my sig) and with that comes money ! WooHoo !! I'm currently looking at LiteOn, Ricoh, AOpen. Apparently Teac is now the quickest writer but there is NO WAY I'd even ever consider buying one of their **** products. Not a chance.

I was originally thinking that LiteOn were a cheap low quality brand but I saw that they have something to do with JVC (can't remember the details) so that gives them some credibility.

Anyway, the about are the brands I'm going to look into more. Any comments / suggestions (relating to the burners !) ?

Cheers.

Comment

Best is Plextor & Yamaha
                              Second best is LiteON

However, their pricing is in reverse.

ie- Plextor & Yahama cost the most, LiteON dont.

The LiteON can do everything the plextor/yamaha can, only a tad slower. (mainly when reading cds)
                              the slowness im talking about is from 40seconds, to 5minutes. This is only when reading heavily damaged cds, cds with a tough protection scheme, or just your typical low-quality media.

So id go with the LiteON. Ive got the 24x model. Does everything i need it to, and more. The 32/40x model arent that much more expensive. These drives are brilliant value.

if you do go Liteon, there are brand spankin' new firmwares out for the 32 and 40x offering more reliability with new media.

Comment

Working...
                              X