• help with p2 233

hi, I'm trying to overclock my intel pentium 2 233

64mb ram

asus P2L97 agp mobo

the system is almost useless now, can't even run some emulators

but i have never over clocked before.

i tried going into bios but there r no settings that i can change

speed. so i thought i probably have to go into the system and

change the jumpers. or is there another way?

and anyone know what is a safe speed and a realistic speed that

i can get the 233 to?

hmmmm....To be honest i wudn't even bother trying to overclock and just buy a new mobo n CPU, u cud pick up a Duron + mobo cheaply, even Althon XPs systems arn't that expensive.

Comment

no cause if i can get some out of this i'll wait a little longer and then buy, which i pay the same amount and get even more power

but i never used durons before, i tried intels and athlons

how much cheaper do u think the durons r?

and do they suck? i'm willing to spend $200, what do u think i can get?

Comment

I have a Duron and its OK, its a cut down Athlon basically. I wud try a site like www.ebay.com, gets some parts second hand. Then u cud probally get an Athlon 1.1Ghz, Mobo + some more RAM. Wot graphics card do you have by the way?

Comment

You could try and get the hold of SoftFSB which will allow you to play around with the fsb settings (multiplier locked) from within windows.........some of the older mobos will allow you to adjust the fsb from 66 to75 and 83....some will also allow intermitant settings as well.....from memory, the Asus mobos were pretty good in this regard......good luck

Comment

oh okay, thx

i only got a voodoo2 (apollo 3dfast 2)

8mb i think :(

Comment

Originally posted by nwgtr
              oh okay, thx

i only got a voodoo2 (apollo 3dfast 2)

8mb i think :(
              yeesh! get a new vid card...wait, you prolly don't have an agp slot, sounds like time for a serious upgrade!...and unless you got a realy case, i'd start saving for a whole new system :lips: :lips: :lips:

Comment

Yer if u only got a Vodoo, thats probally y u cant tun most emulators, dont bother wid an upgrade do what daedalus said and save for a completly new system. You could get a whole system for about £500 UK (wudn't a beast but wud probally run ur emulators ;).

Comment

oh, cause was planning to just upgrade this system that i had

since i have the mid tower case, speakers, monitor

all i really needed was a mobo and cpu, also a vid card

didn't want to spend much money, i know i can get a whole

system for like $1000 can

just wanted to spend a few hundred

Comment

Well then get a budget mobo, a Duron 900mhz, and a Hercules 4500 thats pretty much a budget upgrade, and it shud take care of your emulators..unless ur playin N64 emulators......then god help you lol.

Comment

hehe yeah, shepps is right cheap mobo, maybe epox, duron 900/50 and Herucles 4500 and you'll have yourself quite a...budget beast :confused:

Comment

oh okay, thx for the advice

or i might as well do what i always been doing :)

save a few thousand then get the top notch system

which used to last at least 3 years, then repeat

but now it would probably last 1 year then repeat

Comment

probably 2 years....buts its better to sell parts and upgrade as you go

Comment

I once had a Pentium 1 233mmx Cpu that i oc'ed to 300mhz with a massive big cooler on it, which was 100% stable.

Didn't like booting into windows when i ran it up to 350mhz, tho...

Comment

ALL figures in US Dollars

Unless money is no issue, Paying top dollar is STUPID. In 3 years, the difference between a 3000$ machine now, and a 1000$ machine now is basically NO DIFFERENCE.

Proof:

3 Years ago, a 3000$ machine was:
                              PII450 128MB, 32X cd-rom, 8 meg AGP video card, 17inch monitor

3 Years ago a 1000$ machine was:
                              PII233 48MB or ram, 24X cd-rom 4meg AGP. 17inch monitor

Is there much performance difference there? (compared to whats avaliable now?) The answer is No. Sure, the second one could use an upgrade in ram, and vid card, but that is relativly inexpensive.

AND JUST THINK... in a year, year and a half down the road... go out and spend another thousand of What was saved... If you kept the monitor, you would be able to get a PIII 900, 256 meg of ram, TNT2 32 meg...!

AND YOU STILL HAVE SPENT 1000$ less than Person 1, and now you've got double the capability of their computer... AND A Second computer.

This is assuming you are handy with computers, and know how to buy and install your own components...

============

That is my logic.

In this day in age, you should not be spending more than 250$ for a processor/mobo combo. I don't understand how you can justify a 400$ processor, only to have it drop in value to 120$ in 6 months.. sheesh.. it comes down to two things, either your really need that added speed(and you can afford it), or your ego really needs some artificial boosting...

I don't get it.

But Hey, someones gotta keep paying for R + D....

Comment

Working...
                              X