Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Games to get warning labels

What are you thoughts on this?
    Me being a old game player from way back when Atari first came out, I must admit games can be highly addictive, but only until you finish it.

comments made at Gamespot;

Games to get warning labels?

A lawsuit to be filed against Sony Online may encourage online game companies to label their games as addictive.

Many game companies proudly claim that their games are "addictive," and a lawsuit to be filed against Sony Online may cause game companies to begin placing labels on games, warning consumers of just that.
    According to a report in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Miami lawyer Jack Thompson plans to file a lawsuit on behalf of Elizabeth Woolley, whose 21-year-old son Shawn killed himself last November. According to Woolley, Shawn had been playing EverQuest, Sony Online's popular online role-playing game, prior to his death. Though her son had been diagnosed with depression and a schizoid personality disorder, Woolley blames the addictive nature of the game for her son's death. The lawsuit will not specifically seek to require game companies to place warning labels on games, but Thompson believes that a large verdict may cause companies to label their games out of fiscal self-interest.

Sony Online representatives declined to comment on the situation. We'll post more information about the situation as it develops.

And look back at what the 'Nicotine is addictive' sticker campaign did.

Nothing.

If theyre really after a warning sticker to deter people from buying games, all the luck to them.
    If theyre after a sticker to inform people, well, even more luck to them.

How many of you read and understand software agreements? or those epilepsy warnings?

Though so.

Comment

thats just dumb, stupid yanks (no offence) sueing for ****ing everything, and that is staking the piss. i agree wid u, i dont think i have ever read a licence, and if a really gd game warned me of its adictiveness i think that wud probally make me buy it, not detur me.

@ all ppl who sue over dumb things like that, and the companies that encourage sueing. Whats the point u money grabbing *******s! Like when ppl sue councils cus they tripped over in the street, POINT?!

Comment

games are addictive, it is a known fact...

what they still be making games now if they weren't addictive? i doubt they would make quite as many...

and god dam suers, councils could get better services, if people didn't sue over petty little things.

imagine a world without lawyers..... H E A V E N!

Comment

Imagine a world without games!!! "HELL"

Comment

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:D i gonna have night mares now :D

hehe

Comment

True!!!
              We'd all die of bore dom:cry:

Comment

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Comment

Maybe I could get a job putting warnings on games - I like playing with stickers :?: :D
                  The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

hehehe :p :p

Comment

I thought that the addictive part is why we play them and keep
                      getting them ? :p

Comment

Some music can be addicting. Are they gonna be labling that (other than the Parental Advisory sticker) too? I feel that our elected officials have too much time on their hands if they bend to label something every time it negatively affects a person. Basically, this is another bull**** tactic and probably won't go through. People do not want to take responsiblity for their actions or want to avenge another person by blaming certain things. I'm not saying the game didn't play any role, but that kid needed to be on medication if he wasn't. If someone kills another person, it may be influenced by a game, but the game did not kill the deceased, the murder did. Go after the murder first.

Of course, if this does go through, it'll be another worthless tag slapped on boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepps
                          thats just dumb, stupid yanks (no offence) sueing for ****ing everything, and that is staking the piss. i agree wid u, i dont think i have ever read a licence, and if a really gd game warned me of its adictiveness i think that wud probally make me buy it, not detur me.

@ all ppl who sue over dumb things like that, and the companies that encourage sueing. Whats the point u money grabbing *******s! Like when ppl sue councils cus they tripped over in the street, POINT?!
                          It's because most of the US population are a bunch of ****ing *******s that will not take responsability for their own actions or admit the fault of someone they love. It's **** like this that doesn't make me glad to be an American. Watch us drive and that'll tell you all you need to know. Trust me.

Comment

:eek: testify brother!

Umm, but there are countries that also drive not so very well that don't sue each other at the drop of a hat?

And while we're at it, schools aren't a place to send children to get raised - supposed to go to school to learn stuff.

What's up, is the forum in some kind of mood - or is it just me, I appear to be nearing "rant" mode this morning:(
                            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

ARRG RANT RANT RANT :flames:

hehehe

Comment

Working...
                              X