PDA

View Full Version : Buying an Nvidia card, trying to decide.

smooman
11-05-2004, 07:55 AM
Hi everyone, I'm from :ar15firin america :smash: (unfortunately) so assume everything in american dollars please.

I am in the market to buy a video card that will run everquest 2 well, and im a bit confused. you see everquest two needs a good card (preferably nvidia) because it is incredibly graphically intensive, and there are so many different cards.. from so many different companies that i dont know what to choose.

basically im looking for a fast, powerful card that isnt TOO expensive and has at least 256mb of video ram. now i THINK that different card manufactureres have different archetectures for their cards so the main points for me are speed, convienence, and modularity when it comes to cooling devices.also i would like something that would be compatable with games using next generation graphics engines.... preferably for the next 2 years or so.

any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

KoolDrew
11-05-2004, 08:01 AM
What exactly do you consider "TOO expensive"? You could get a 6800GT and it will perform real well for a while. What exactly is your budget?

smooman
11-05-2004, 08:12 AM
well 500 dollars american would be way out of budget.. i would grudgingly pay something around 300 ish.. but i wouldnt be happy :screama:

hope that helps.. oh and why did you decide on that particular card.. i am somewhat out of the loop with computer componants so any info would be great

thanks for your assistance :wavey:

KoolDrew
11-05-2004, 08:27 AM
I reccomended a 6800GT as it is a very good card. It is better then the X800 Pro and I knew that a 6800U/X800 XT PE would be expensive from the looks of your first post. The 6800GT is a great card because it is basically the same as a 6800 Ultra except has lower clock speeds. It has the same amount of pixel pipelines and everything else so it is a really good card to choose if you can afford it. If you are plannign on overclocking it would be good too as you most likely will reach 6800U speeds easily.

I suggest looking at this:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-04.html

That should help you decide what is the best card for how much you are willing to spend. Also if you don't mind buying off ebay I reccomend doign that. Last time I checked many people were selling 6800GT's for like $250. Just make sure to check out the users feedback and stuff. Many people buy Pc parts off ebay without any problems and I may reccomend it in yoru case if you feel comfortable with it

smooman
11-05-2004, 08:39 AM
with overclocking the 6800, if you overclocked it, would you be able to do it without using machine based heat dispersion? im trying to build a completely silent PC and i will probably use some sort of heat piping system for my video card.

thank you for the help :wavey:

smooman
11-05-2004, 08:48 AM
One more thing... what company should i buy my card from as far as archetecture? i will probably be replacing the heat sink with something different so if there is one thats better for that sorta thing.. please let me know.

Yawgm0th
11-05-2004, 10:59 AM
You will be able to overclock your card regardles of your cooling setup. How well it will overclock is dependant on it, but I wouldn't worry about it...

Get a regular GeForce 6800. It's not that much worse than a GT or Ultra, and a good one will be about $270. I'd suggest eVGA.

smooman
11-05-2004, 01:55 PM
thanks yawgmoth, and kool for the info.. now all thats left is to buy it :wavey: