need advice for a new mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice for a new mobo

hey everyone, i was thinking about getting a new mobo and i was wondering which one i should get.

my machine will primarily be a gaming rig so that is one thing to take into consideration.
    should i go with a 64 bit processor, or a 32 bit processor... are there any components that i use with my current system that will not work with a 64 bit processor? ex: ram, video card, hard drives, disk drives.. etc.

should i go with that new video card type socket thing <NOT something? ?socket.. its think i agp...>
    what company and type of board should i go with.

anything else i should know about 64 bit mobos.. and 64 bit vs 32 bit mobos

im from america so please put all prices in american dollars if possible

thank you for any assistance you can give
    Last edited by smooman; 11-04-2004, 07:13 PM.

Re: need advice for a new mobo

Well for the best gaming go with an Athlon 64 FX, but if you cant afford that kind of prosessor then a 754 or 939 would be more than sufficient. If you go with a 32 bit prossesor then might as well make it an intel 3.6 or 3.8 or whatever there highest speed is now, mind you those cost a lot too. Befor I go any farther, what kind of price range are we looking at?

Also what kind of hardware are you thinking of moving to your new computer?

Comment

64 bit is the way to go now and they are not really expensive. Also a socket 939 is best, but you may want to wait until nforce4 comes out until you build your new PC. You could get the MSi board with SLI and get 2 6800GTs (or 6600GT) and a 3000+ s939 90nm CPU and soem nice RAM and it will overclock real well and be a nice system. Also from your other threads you wanted a silent setup so watercooling may eb the way to go and it will overclock easily past FX speeds mixed with soem good components.

Comment

well i figure that i will not pay more then 150-200 for a new mobo.. unless its really worth it. and as for what im putting in there.. im going to try and get all new stuff but im going for a silent system with some decent speed.

Comment

For a gaming PC and a silent PC I would reccomend buying a watercooling setup if you feel comfortable with it and buy a cheap CPU, mobo, nice RAM, nice video card and overclock the hell out of it.

Comment

Don't worry about Athlon 64s being 64 bit. That has nothing to do with their current superiority to Pentium 4s and other processors in gaming and most other applications, and won't until more 64-bit software comes out.

For a motherboard, the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum is pretty much the only motherboard I would recommend for you. When the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI comes out, if you wait that long, that would likely be better as it will support PCI-E and SLI. YOu'd have to get a different video card than what I recommended, but that's assuming you wait until it's at Newegg. In the meantime, I'd recommend MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum as your motherboard for this system, no question.

For the processor, get what you can afford. Prices for socket 939 processors range from around $170 to just under $1000. I'd say a 3200 or 3500 would be a bout the sweet spot, especially if you overclock.

Assuming you overclock, you'll also want to look into some Arctic Silver 5 and a nice CPU cooler. The Thermaltake Silent Boost K8 would be a great choice if you don't go with watercooling.

Comment

i think at this point im going to try and continue this in the thread kooldave suggested. ill put together my speculations and explain my entire situation there. thanks for the info everyone.. please check the what should i buy thread for further continuation of my ignorance

Comment

My name is KoolDrew, but thats fine...lol

Comment

LOL omg im so sorry for the name confusion... i just had such a long day yesterday i was about to collapse onto my keyboard

Comment

Working...
                  X