Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What freeware is Important to Own?

[orange]
    OK guys, wut is the most important freeware out there to own. As in wut do u guys have? What is necessary to have and what is not? Im looking to speed up my system and increase performance and security.

Aside from this but in relation to, wut is ur favorite antiviurs program? Norton, Macaffee, or Zone Alarm. jw.

good to be back.........

chaos

[/orange]

Re: What freeware is Important to Own?

Just look in my signature.

My Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition is pretty nice, but I despise anything and everything else from Symantec. AVG Free Edition is what I would use if I couldn't get Symantec AV CE.

Comment

ya i got spybot firefox 1.0, thuderbird 0.8, RegSupreme, and bootvis. but so far that's it.

Comment

RegCleaner and RegSupreme are not the same thing. Try the RegCleaner link. HijackThis, CWShredder, and Ad-Aware would be nice if you weren't using Mozilla.

Comment

so wut is the difference between RegSupreme and RegCleaner? Which is better?

So since i use Firefox, i dont need hijack, cwsshredder, or Ad-Aware?

Comment

RegCleaner has a lot mroe available options, rather than being just a search-and-fix tool. SegSupreme is also shareware, not freeware, last time I checked.

Unless you regularly use Internet Explorer, you shouldn't need much in the line of anti-spyare protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
              Unless you regularly use Internet Explorer, you shouldn't need much in the line of anti-spyare protection.
              yet...
              Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
              My Toys

Comment

yet..... yet what?

well so what about other useful free programs out there that you use? any ones that come to mind that are pretty nifty.

Comment

Yet, as in until Mozilla becomes more popular and people develop methods to get past its security. I wouldn't worry about it, though. While much of Mozilla's security comes from obscurity, it is quite simply programmed better and has fewer holes, or at least evidence would show that. You still shouldn't need any form of additional protection unless you are making poor choices in your browsing habits.

OpenOffice is a very nice Word Processing suite and it completely free. It's a very viable alternative to expensive suites such as MicroSoft Office (in fact, I prefer it over Office).

Diskkeeper Lite is another great one. Shareazaa is a pretty nice file sharing program, as are the various Bittorent clients (I prefer Azureus myself).

Abyss Web Server and Apache are a couple nice freeware web server programs, in case you have any need of that.

The stuff in my signature, as I said, in case you are still having problems with clicking links...

Prime95 comes to mind as it is great for stress testing if you are overclocking.

America's Army is an entire freeware game, and not a bad one for that matter.

DaemonTools is a great CD emulation program that I use regularly.

PearPC and Basillisk II are Macintosh emulators I've found useful (though they can be a pain to setup).

7-Zip is a great program for compressing and decompressing files.

I'll post anything else that comes to mind when it does...

Comment

ah ok. hey that list is great. thank u for the input. i will look into many of them.

for my file compression i use WinRAR. it seems to work well.

Comment

7-zip opens rar files, but it will also compress using its own format, which works better than rar. That said, I usually just use winrar because its easier and I rarely compress anything of my own.

Comment

Working...
                      X