Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory frequency?

Re: Memory frequency?

its because that P4 processor is at 100mhz FSB and memory has to be running 1:1 with FSB on that system. You wouldve been better off getting DDR200 which runs at 100mhz stock, or upgrading the cpu if possible, im not sure what that board supports though

Comment

Your motherboard supports thus:

Intel Pentium 4 1.4GHz ~ 2GHz mPGA 478 CPU Willamette
      Intel Pentium 4 2.0GHz ~ 2.4GHz mPGA 478 Northwood (400FSB)
      Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ~ 2.66GHz+ mPGA 478 Northwood (533FSB)
      Intel Celeron 1.7GHz+ mPGA 478 Willamette-128 (400FSB)

I must also add that this is a very nice looking board and seems to be top of its kind back when it came out.
      Last edited by Amd_Lover2004; 11-26-2004, 05:29 PM.

Comment

In that case a CPU upgrade wouldnt be a bad idea for him, specially if a P4 3.06 533FSB with hyperthreading works in there...along with the dual DDR333 it would be better than my system.
        Last edited by sr4470; 11-26-2004, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Yes some nice PC 2700 will work fine if you get a new processor.... if not try some DDR 200.... that should work fine.

Aslo you could try to overclock your CPU to 133 FSB and the memory may automaticly say I need to be at 1:1 and may do so. And if the if the memory doesent do it your motherboard has all the fetures you need to make it work by doing the same to the mem settings.

Comment

the funniest thing is that my old DDR 266 seems to be working fine on the 100 mem frequency (wouldn't it have to be on 133?).

Yah, this board was a breakthrough at the time, it had everything the asus didn't have and it was cheaper, too bad for the AGP 4x though.

I'm definitely doing a CPU upgrade then, but now I'm confused... does this board take a P 2.66 Ghz or 3.06 as maximum.

Thx again ppl. This is the first forum I've found that ppl actually care to help hehe

Comment

Your memory will work fine just not to its full potential. It will also create a bottleneck, If run at 100MHz.

I remember reading about this board when it came out and I dont think it can handle anything with HyperThreading. But I could be wrong.... I'd say the 2.66 533 FSB Northwood would be your best shot.

About the people here, as I have also found the people here accualy care about helping as long as you know what you are talking about and research before you post a reply... For the one or two exceptions I find there to be many nice people here.

Comment

PC2700 should be all that system can handle, but it will revert to 100MHz since you're most likely using a 2.0A which will run at an FSB of 100. Like AMD_Lover said, the memory will run at 100 MHz on a 1:1 ratio, and there's not really much reason to have it do otherwise as it won't mean any significant performance change.

If the board supports processors with HT, then a 3.06GHz with HT wouldn't be a terrrible idea. For an option with budget more in mind, a 2.8A, if the board can take Prescotts (which I doubt, but I haven't looked at any info on it), or a 2.8B if it can't (the Northwoods seem to be more expensive ATM).

BTW, if it's gaming performance you're looking for, upgrading your video card might be a good idea (a better one, even), A Ti 4600 is going to hold you back in games, assuming you even use this machine for gaming.
                Last edited by Yawgm0th; 11-28-2004, 03:39 AM.

Comment

If you get a beter video card you might want to save your money after and get a better CPU as well because that 100MHz is going to limit a lot of things quite a bit.

Can you say bottleneck...

Comment

No doubt, but I'd rather have a 9800 Pro and a 2.0A than a Ti 4600 and a 3.06 for any graphical game out there. But I will agree that a 400MHz FSB processor is a huge bottleneck in games if you have a decent video card, but then gaming might not even be an issue here anyway.

Comment

Now for his motherboard he has 4x AGP would it be restricting for a new card to run at 4x?

Comment

No as there's very little real difference between 4x and 8x AGP speeds.

Comment

When I first set this system up, I was tired of bottlenecks, as is so frequent with uneven technology, so I decided to not go over my head and built the best system possible around the MB. As it happens (and I've come to realize now), I've been living with a bottleneck all along hehe.

Regarding this system in particular, AMD_Lover was right in his analysis, no HT and the maximum will be P 2,66 Northwood.

But coming back to the graphics issue, so you're saying that, by restricting a high-end board from 8x to 4x won't actually make much difference? I didn't know that, and it's actually terrific news...

Comment

Nope, no difference. A few tests have shown a difference as high as about 2% in very few applications, and it's literally no difference in most games.

Comment

Is a whole system rebuild out of the question.
                              If it is out of the question you can get the new CPU and Video card, the memory should be sufficient as it is the best your motherboard can handle.

Comment

Working...
                              X