PDA

View Full Version : What PSU to buy?

GiMP
11-28-2004, 06:38 AM
I need a new PSU for my next box which will be an AMD64 3500+ w/ ATI x800 and 2 SATA HDD's

I'm thinking I'll be needing 400W minimum, but I don't want to go overboard like so many people do and get some 600+W beast when I'll never use it.

Whats a quality make/model to go with these days? Doesn't have to be fancy as long as it'll last and get the job done.

wayout44
11-28-2004, 06:48 AM
I don't recommend anything less than a 480W PSU for that setup.

GiMP
11-28-2004, 08:28 AM
I don't recommend anything less than a 480W PSU for that setup.

Any reason why or bigger is better mentality in play here? I run 4 7200RPM drives a DVDRW and 2nd CDRW, GF3 Ti500 off 350W and never had issues...

Amd_Lover2004
11-28-2004, 08:31 AM
if you plan on moving any of that over to your new one I would go with an even bigger one than a 480W try 500 or a 520 mabey for all those extra drives and stuff.

OLdphart
11-28-2004, 08:46 AM
Try an Enermax. Do not try Q-tech.
A good way is to go into the store (if you can), ask to look at the PSUs that you fancy. Heft the box. Buy the heaviest.

No, I do not joke. If the box is heavy, it means that there is a good chunk of electronics plus metal there.

PSU ratings are a joke in many cases. They quote 'xxx' watts, but that means instantaneous watts in the 'cheapos'. Knock 30% off the rating on a cheapo to see what the real rate is.

I consider a good 350 watt psu to be adequate for most peoples needs, except for the determined overclocker/case filler of junk.

OLdphart

wayout44
11-28-2004, 09:17 AM
Any reason why or bigger is better mentality in play here? I run 4 7200RPM drives a DVDRW and 2nd CDRW, GF3 Ti500 off 350W and never had issues... I recommend that size as a minimum due to the fact that I know of far to many people having problems with lesser rated PSU's with A64 systems.

GiMP
11-28-2004, 11:32 AM
Heres two I've found good deals on, how do they stack up quality wise?

Enermax 470W EG475P-VE SFMA Noisetaker
Enermax 485W EG495P-VE SFMA Noisetaker

They're the same price for some reason, from the same store, is one an older model?

Darthtanion
11-29-2004, 07:51 AM
I've had very good luck with Thermaltake branded power supplies myself. Very solid performers and the most stable and consistent flow of power across all rails that I have yet seen.

KoolDrew
12-16-2004, 04:03 AM
Try an Enermax. Do not try Q-tech.
A good way is to go into the store (if you can), ask to look at the PSUs that you fancy. Heft the box. Buy the heaviest.

No, I do not joke. If the box is heavy, it means that there is a good chunk of electronics plus metal there.

PSU ratings are a joke in many cases. They quote 'xxx' watts, but that means instantaneous watts in the 'cheapos'. Knock 30% off the rating on a cheapo to see what the real rate is.

I consider a good 350 watt psu to be adequate for most peoples needs, except for the determined overclocker/case filler of junk.

OLdphart

This is very true. Generic PSu's are really light compared to a quality PSu such as Antex, Enermax, OCZ and Forton. But even if this is true I would not really go by its weight alone.

Yawgm0th
12-17-2004, 12:47 PM
I've had very good luck with Thermaltake branded power supplies myself. Very solid performers and the most stable and consistent flow of power across all rails that I have yet seen.
Same here... I'd just go with a 480W Thermaltake. The more expensive "Butterfly" model would be great, but one of the cheapers models ought to suffice.