What PSU to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What PSU to buy?

I need a new PSU for my next box which will be an AMD64 3500+ w/ ATI x800 and 2 SATA HDD's

I'm thinking I'll be needing 400W minimum, but I don't want to go overboard like so many people do and get some 600+W beast when I'll never use it.

Whats a quality make/model to go with these days? Doesn't have to be fancy as long as it'll last and get the job done.

Re: What PSU to buy?

I don't recommend anything less than a 480W PSU for that setup.

Comment

Originally posted by wayout44
      I don't recommend anything less than a 480W PSU for that setup.
      Any reason why or bigger is better mentality in play here? I run 4 7200RPM drives a DVDRW and 2nd CDRW, GF3 Ti500 off 350W and never had issues...

Comment

if you plan on moving any of that over to your new one I would go with an even bigger one than a 480W try 500 or a 520 mabey for all those extra drives and stuff.

Comment

Try an Enermax. Do not try Q-tech.
          A good way is to go into the store (if you can), ask to look at the PSUs that you fancy. Heft the box. Buy the heaviest.

No, I do not joke. If the box is heavy, it means that there is a good chunk of electronics plus metal there.

PSU ratings are a joke in many cases. They quote 'xxx' watts, but that means instantaneous watts in the 'cheapos'. Knock 30% off the rating on a cheapo to see what the real rate is.

I consider a good 350 watt psu to be adequate for most peoples needs, except for the determined overclocker/case filler of junk.

OLdphart

Comment

Originally posted by GiMP
            Any reason why or bigger is better mentality in play here? I run 4 7200RPM drives a DVDRW and 2nd CDRW, GF3 Ti500 off 350W and never had issues...
            I recommend that size as a minimum due to the fact that I know of far to many people having problems with lesser rated PSU's with A64 systems.

Comment

Heres two I've found good deals on, how do they stack up quality wise?

Enermax 470W EG475P-VE SFMA Noisetaker
              Enermax 485W EG495P-VE SFMA Noisetaker

They're the same price for some reason, from the same store, is one an older model?

Comment

I've had very good luck with Thermaltake branded power supplies myself. Very solid performers and the most stable and consistent flow of power across all rails that I have yet seen.
                Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by OLdphart
                  Try an Enermax. Do not try Q-tech.
                  A good way is to go into the store (if you can), ask to look at the PSUs that you fancy. Heft the box. Buy the heaviest.

No, I do not joke. If the box is heavy, it means that there is a good chunk of electronics plus metal there.

PSU ratings are a joke in many cases. They quote 'xxx' watts, but that means instantaneous watts in the 'cheapos'. Knock 30% off the rating on a cheapo to see what the real rate is.

I consider a good 350 watt psu to be adequate for most peoples needs, except for the determined overclocker/case filler of junk.

OLdphart
                  This is very true. Generic PSu's are really light compared to a quality PSu such as Antex, Enermax, OCZ and Forton. But even if this is true I would not really go by its weight alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
                    I've had very good luck with Thermaltake branded power supplies myself. Very solid performers and the most stable and consistent flow of power across all rails that I have yet seen.
                    Same here... I'd just go with a 480W Thermaltake. The more expensive "Butterfly" model would be great, but one of the cheapers models ought to suffice.

Comment

Working...
                    X