The Best Memory Option For My System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Memory Option For My System

I play alot of Computer Games and I am starting to get quite a bit of lag as the games get better. I am going to get Half-Life 2 soon so therefore i feel i must update my system.

My Current Specs:
    Intel P4 2.4Ghz HT
    Intel D865PERL Motherboard
    Gigabyte ATI Radeon 9200 128MB
    512 MB Geil DDR400 PC3200
    Western Digital 40 GB
    Seagate 80 GB
    NEC DVD-ROM 56x
    NEC DVD-RW R+/R-

I Know the Video Card is holding me back I am getting a Chaintech nVidia FX 5600 256MB DDR from my dad for free so that isnt too bad. (He's upgrading his system as well)

My question was on the RAM. (I found that outpost.com actually has the best prices on high performance RAM if you know a cheaper place please let me know)

I have two DDR400 RAM's I have been considering.
    1 Additional GB of Geil DDR400 PC3200
    http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3974878
    or
    512MB of Kingston HyperX DDR400 PC3200
    http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3645865

As far as gaming goes (and maybe a little programming), which would better benefit my comuter?
    The large amount of low quality ram
    or
    The low amount of super high quality ram

Also if anyone knows anything about system speed tests and overclocking, please can i have some info on ways to do it. Or if theres any very good online guides, that would be great.
    Last edited by BigSexy396; 11-29-2004, 01:04 AM. Reason: detail

Re: The Best Memory Option For My System

For system compairasons and testing go to benchmarking center and check that out...
    Look through the threads here and you will probably find what you are looking for...
    I would help you but you might learn more this way and I am not the best with memory.

Comment

If you only have 1 stick of 512 MB Geil DDR400 PC3200 now then get another of exactly the same spec (if you have 2 x 256MB sticks already then get another 2 of the same). Your mainboard is capable of dual channel memory so you can only use memory in matched pairs (same make, model and size) to make it work properly.

Comment

Right now i have one stick of 512MB Geil DDR400 PC3200 and my option is for 2 additional sticks of the same memory or the Kingston HyperX DDR400 PC3200. Even though the latency is way better would the HyperX and my current run dual channel?

Comment

Like wayout said you need two identical Sticks of RAM in order to run dual channel.

Comment

Originally posted by BigSexy396
            Right now i have one stick of 512MB Geil DDR400 PC3200
            Just get another stick of that and you're good. It's generally best to stick with identical models when running RAM in dual-channel mode.

Comment

Dual Channel capable is only for 3200 or is it possible with 2700 and 2100?

Thanks

Comment

its possible with all speeds of ram as long as you have 2 identicle sticks

Comment

It's also possible with different sticks and even sticks of different speeds, but I would highly recommend against mixing speeds and it's best to stick with the same brand and even model.

Comment

Working...
                  X