Globalwin WBK38 - I need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Globalwin WBK38 - I need help

I am running a non overclocked Athlon 1700XP. I am considering changing my HSF to a WBK38.

I know there is no "standard" temperature I should achieve due to the many variables involved. However it is stupid of me to believe that I should achieve temperatures of sub 45 under load?? something like 39 idle and 46 under load?

Any help would really be appreciated as at the moment I am getting terrible temperatures like 52 idle and 58 load.

Cheers
    Aaron

What kind of cooling do you already have in place? Since the Athlon XP processors tend to run cooler than their older siblings, the temperatures you state are a bit high... especially for an XP chip.

Also, what are you using to monitor these temperatures? If you're using the Asus probe, then you're readings can be as much as 10C off the mark, and sometimes even more! Asus probe has a terrible reputation for it's lack of reliable results.

As for the WBW cooler, I would recommend something a bit more modern. The clip on this unit tends to be on the stiff side, and the base material is aluminum instead of copper. The thicker fin design also doesn't give you the best in cooling. With so many better coolers available, I'd do a bit of looking around first.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Thankyou very much.

U were very helpful

Firstly I would like to apologise to both Soverign and TismeDT for not replying thier questions in an earlier post about Athlon 1700XP Temps.

I am running an ASUS A7V266E mobo and an Athlon 1700XP.

My fan is a JUST COOLER which has a huge arse heat sink with an 80mm fan which has specs of 38cfm. Noise levels of a quiet 28db. My temps are very extreme and if you state that ASUS Probe can deliver temperatures of up to 10 degrees or more out of range then my HSF may just be doing the job alright.

What can I use to check the temperatures?? Is it the actual thermometre on the motherboard that has the problem or is it just the program. Please tell me how I can get a more accurate reading.

Comment

When it comes to Asus motherboards, I have heard it both ways. That it's the AsusProbe program that gives bogus information, and that it's the actual thermistors on the board. Who can say for sure?

To get more reliable results, pick up a small thermal probe. I have used Compu-Nurse before and it works pretty well. These can be picked up for about US$12 or so, so they're relatively cheap. Thermaltake is also putting out a thermal probe/hard drive cooling combination. I can't say if they're any good yet, but I did get one recently from them to test, so I'll let everyone know when the review comes out. That may also be something to consider.

I'd hold off a bit before getting a new cooler and get some accurate reads on your current cooling setup. Even if your temperatures are accurate (which I doubt), you'll not be in amy immediate danger of frying your processor anytime soon.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Thanks alot for all your help.

You all have let me put my mind to peace (to a certain extent).

Cheers
          Aaron

Comment

well i have an asus A7V66e mobo....and i use to have a wbk.....

with my wbk sitting on my xp2000 running at stock speed i'd probably get about 44-45 in this weather.....although i also had an 80mm sunon 50cfm blowing in from the side as well as a 50cfm outake.....

Comment

Working...
            X