nVidia GeForce 6200 GPU – Surprising Budget Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nVidia GeForce 6200 GPU – Surprising Budget Gaming

I'm convinced you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about based on the chart on page 2. I'll just take the regular GeForce 6800 as an example:

For starters, the core and memory speeds aren't even close to right. Most come with a 325MHz core, though there are some factory-overclocked ones with 350 and 400MHz cores. The only card on that list that has a core speed of 500MHz or greater is the 6600GT, in fact. The only other one even above 400MHz is the Ultra... The 6800's memory clock should be 350MHz or 700MHz DDR, not 500MHz.

The memory is either 128MB DDR or 256MB GDDR3, though some come with 128MB GDDR3 and even with more memory then they're supposed to.

It should have 12 pixel pipelines, not 16. Only the GT and Ultra have 16.

It's a 256-bit card, not a 128-bit. The way you have it, it's much worse than a 6600GT...

The transitors are all messed up on almost every card, 6800 included...

Now the 6800 isn't the only card completely screwed up by that table, and it's really just sad that that table even got in there. Where exactly did you get all of this information?

Re: nVidia GeForce 6200 GPU – Surprising Budget Gaming

Sorry for that. I accidently mixed up the data for the table when doing the review. The table has been amended.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention

Comment

Been seeing a bit of that lately.

Comment

lol. Well the Geforce 6200, at least over here in the UK, is a stupid option when you could buy a regular 6600 for the same money or a 9600 Advan Pro for 25% less, both of which can outperform the 6200
        Last edited by sr4470; 11-30-2004, 10:41 AM.

Comment

It doesn't look like a horrible option for U.S. buyers, but the 6600 is only $20-$30 (which is about 20-25% more) more than the 6200. I guess I could see it being used in systems with very small amounts of gaming intended to save a few bucks over a 6600 or 6600GT, but it's just not worth it for anyone looking for low-budget gaming since the 6600 is so close in price. The thing is, there aren't going to be a whole lot of users that are going to buy a PCI-E system with just low-end gaming intended, plus any gamer with half a brain would be waiting for socket 939 and 754 boards with PCI-E considering the price and gaming performance of LGA775 system...

As for the table, there are still a few clock speeds that could be argued over, but it's not really worth mentioning since nVidia doesn't seem to have imposed any restrictions whatsoever on what memory and core speeds can be, so any speed that one card uses works, I guess. It kind of bothers me to look at a list of the same card from different companies and see four to eight different clock and RAM speeds, but that's just what you'll see when looking over nVidia 6*** cards on online retailers. But then I've also seen quite a few 64-bit 9600 alongside 128-bit 9600s, among many other inconsistencies on both sides and all price ranges of the graphics card market...

Comment

Well the nvidia official spec says 300\550 for the 6200, pretty much same as the 6600 clockspeeds... The 9600 "advan" pro is a sapphire-built card running at 400\900, and strangely, its cheaper than the "regular" 9600 pro here

Comment

The 6200 and 6600 do use the same speeds, but the 6600 has 4 more pipelines, which make a huge difference in most scenarios.

I haven't heard of the 9600 "advan" pro, and nothing at Newegg from Sapphire fits your description. Are you sure it's 900MHz for the RAM? Even the 9600XT is only 600MHz DDR...

Comment

"Advan" is short for "Advantage Edition", and im not sure if its sold outside the UK. It only showed up recently on my usual supplier's website (last month)

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/comp...quicklinx=3GLF

Its essentially a 9600 Pro chip paired with 2.2ns (892mhz DDR) memory, why the spec is missing now i dont know, because it was there when i first saw it

Edit: Ive just checked sapphire's website, and the 9600XT is advertised as having 650mhz DDR memory, "fireblade edition"
                Last edited by sr4470; 12-01-2004, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Never seen that one before. Maybe I'll take a peek at some online retailers other than Newegg, but I'm thinking it's just in the U.K. for whatever reason.

Comment

Yea, well, being stuck down in Australia sucks. Virtually nothing decent.

Comment

Originally posted by cynicist
                      Yea, well, being stuck down in Australia sucks. Virtually nothing decent.
                      Well yes the price we pay is a lot more than other places. We do get decent hardware if you're willing to look aroundor wait for it to be available) but then we also don't have the population base to attrack better bulk discounts (or get certian manufacturers to consider us as a market but then we don't live in N.Z. or an even smaller population based country) though be do get a few parts here via Asian and European networks that those in North America don't see (but this also works the other way).
                      Last edited by wayout44; 12-13-2004, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X