Athlon 1700XP Temps with ASUS Mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon 1700XP Temps with ASUS Mobo

Firstly I would like to apologise to both Soverign and TismeDT for not replying thier questions in an earlier post about Athlon 1700XP Temps.

I am running an ASUS A7V266E mobo and an Athlon 1700XP.

My temps are 52 idle and 62 underload according to ASUS Probe.

My HSF is a JUST COOLER which has a huge arse heat sink with an 80mm fan which has specs of 38cfm. Noise levels of a quiet 28db. My temps are very extreme and I have read where someone stated that ASUS Probe can deliver temperatures of up to 10 degrees or more out of range.

Maybe my HSF is doing an ok job after all.??? Who knows

What can I use to check the temperatures?? Is it the actual thermometre on the motherboard that has the problem or is it just the program. Please tell me how I can get a more accurate reading.

BTW I apologise if I do not reply to your questions immediately as I won't check this forum again till tomorrow. But please find the time in your busy schedules to help me if you can.

Cheers
    Aaron

BTW Tweaktown. these are some great forums u have happening here.

Comment

die temp for xp is 90 degrees c according to the amd site so your good. just add another case fan if your worried

Comment

i've also heard that ASUS probe can report unrealisticaly high temperatures when they are really a fair bit lower...this may or may not be true in your case...but i'd add at least one case fan just to be safe.

If the computer is't crashing...whats there to worry about anyway ?

Comment

I have 2 80mm case fans installed in a push/pull system.

My computer isn't crashing so I am not "too" worried. But I will try a mates HSF (FOP38) and see how it goes. if it don't make much difference then i won't worry

Cheers
          Aaron

Comment

You have heard right, the Asus probe can often be way out. Even so, it could also be reading from the XP's thermal diode which should be reasonably accurate. I reckon your Athlon XP shouldn't really be pushing much past 50-55deg under load. Those big Just cooler HSF's (is yours the one with the anodised heatsink) aren't particularly flash, I'd suggest getting a Thermaltake Volcano 7 - it has a copper base, 80mm fan for quietness and its own thermal diode to regulate the fan speed (it speeds up if its too hot). That's my two cents anyways......

Comment

:cool: Just thought I would say Hi.

Comment

I'm running a volcano 7 in an enermax 710b case with 2 rear case fans and I get 46 deg at idle and 53 deg looping 3dmarkse.with out the case fans it was running at 53 idle and 60 under load. I'm using an asus ipanel and the asus probe together and they are usually within 1 deg of each other.I'm not sure if the ipanel is that accurate either tho.
                1700+xp
                a7v333
                wd 120gb 7200 8mb c
                512 ddr333 kingmax
                leadtek 250td ultra ti4600

oh and my last board was a a7a266-e and there is an issue with big heatsinks and the capacitors on the borad. if you are careful you can just manuver it enough to get it in. also if it helps anyone the leadtek boards foul on a cap on the board too. I've checked the 4400 and the 4600 and it causes the board to lean over slightly.

Comment

I much prefer the Volcano 7+ but have you tried this mod, http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/a...ano7Tip_1.html , also the temp bulb can be cut off all together and the 2 wires joined together for constant full speed fan operation.
                  The 2 rear case fans are for exhausting hot air from the case but there are also 2 front fan positions for air intake which if filled with fans should help you more. ;)
                  <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

it certainly works if you cut the sensor off but i found just putting the sensor in the bottom of the heatsink had little effect.

Comment

the temps are right down to 45c under load and 42c idle so the volcano has some life left in it yet.(it really is bloody noisy, but!!!)

Comment

:flames: no more, hehehe!

Comment

Great result and thanks for the pictures.

Comment

It's always a good fix for the temps if not the ears. ;)

Hey did ya know that if ya replaced the fan with a Thermaltake SMART CASE FAN II you'd have a Volcano 9. :D

<center> </center>

Comment

No. That's the only difference?

Comment

Working...
                              X