factor to upgrading mem/or just buying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• factor to upgrading mem/or just buying

hey. if i want to upgrade or just buy RAM in general.....what factors do i have to think of? does the speed of RAM have to be the same as teh front side bus? for exmaple...... if i had a computer with a FSB of 133MHZ do i need mem that fast ? if yes....these newer systems dont match up ,do they?

Re: factor to upgrading mem/or just buying

Yes 133 memory would be the best option for 133 FSB.... 266 for 266FSB and so on.

As for the newer machines, most have 200FSB and use 400MHz for memory, I am pretty sure the motherboard doubles the FSB to match the memory, but I can't be sure. So they do match.

Comment

Originally posted by eeps24
      hey. if i want to upgrade or just buy RAM in general.....what factors do i have to think of? does the speed of RAM have to be the same as teh front side bus? for exmaple...... if i had a computer with a FSB of 133MHZ do i need mem that fast ? if yes....these newer systems dont match up ,do they?
      The best idea would've been to tell us what CPU and mainboard that you plan on doing the upgrade to.

Comment

im just talking in general tahts all.....the concept of getin ram and having to match it with the FSB puzzles me sometiems thats why

Comment

If you don't have memory that at least matches the CPU's FSB then you will create a bottleneck.

Comment

Working...
          X