Low Latency Ram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Latency Ram

iw as reading a magazine and i saw reviews of RAM, and i saw the regular ram and 'Low Latency' ram. Apearantly low latencyram is alot faster than regular ram.

Re: Low Latency Ram

It's generally known by many that memory with lower latencies is faster than memory with higher latencies but what is your question?

Comment

bascily is it worth the money to get low latncy ram because it costs a bit more than regular ram.

Comment

It mostly depends on the situation but generally low latency RAM is not worth it. It would be better to buy cheaper RAM and buy the next level video card or something.

Comment

Originally posted by KoolDrew
          It mostly depends on the situation but generally low latency RAM is not worth it. It would be better to buy cheaper RAM and buy the next level video card or something.
          Now that reply shows that you're a real expert, not.

Comment

in gaming performance a better video card would be way more worth it then spending an extra $100 on expensive RAM. That is why I said depending on the situation...

And how about you correct me if I am wrong rather then criticizing me.....
            Last edited by KoolDrew; 12-03-2004, 09:09 PM.

Comment

If you're a gamer then you should have a reasonably good video card already and if you go and read some articles about memory latencies/timings you'll then see how silly your statement is but if you don't like my statement then bad luck as I'm sticking to it.

Comment

If I had money to burn, Id go score some super low latency ram, but in my current situation, I would get more of an increase in performance by buying a high end video card than the ram

also, you might be able to get away with lowering the latency on your current ram in bios

Comment

In games you would probally get an extra 3FPS which is not worth it for how much this stuff costs. The only reason to get expensive RAM such as low latency is for overclocking or if you are a benchmarker where even a couple points higher would make a difference.

And if you are running a game at high settings like most gamers do ther ewill probally be no FPS gain at all because it will tax the GPU much more then CPU / Ram. Running low settings may notice a 3FPS increase at max.
                  Last edited by KoolDrew; 12-28-2004, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I'm not quite sure where you get the idea that low-latency RAM will produce 3FPS more at max. It depends on the game, the platform, and how much lower the latencies are. 2-2-2 RAM will get more than 3FPS increase ver 3-4-4 RAM in almost any situation. On the other hand, 2-2-2 RAM won't do that much better than 2.5-3-3 RAM on an Athlon 64 system with a GeForce 6600GT in Doom3, for example.

Comment

When I said that I was referring to A64's. Who in their right mind would be have an Intel based gaming rig?? 2-2-2 RAM won't do any better than 2.5-3-3 RAM on an Athlon 64 system with a GeForce 6600GT in Doom3 running high settings. Lower settings may notice a a small jump, but considering the price of low latency RAM vs. something like Corsair Value Select it is definitely not worth it.
                      Last edited by KoolDrew; 12-29-2004, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Thats a fair point, KoolDrew, but i am cpu limited in some games even at 1152x864, 8xAA, 16xAF because i have a 6800GT and an A64 3000 90nm. Corsair Value Select (in fact, GeIL is probably even better value ram here in the UK) wont help me remove the cpu limitation, because it wont overclock far enough 1:1 @ 2.5-3-3. But if you're only running at stock, with a less powerful video card, then timings wont matter in most recent games as you said, and the saving can be made.
                        Last edited by sr4470; 12-29-2004, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Yes that is exactly what I am saying. If you are overclocking then don't even consider Corsair Value RAM or any other Value RAM as it won't overclock very well at all. And for someone building a new system and not overclocking by buying Value RAM they can save $50-$100 that can be used towards a much better video card.

Comment

I generally recommend value PC3500 or just CAS 2 (not 2-2-2) RAM to those wanting to overclock A64 systems who aren't on extremely high budgets. More expensive stuff will perform and overclock better, but it isn't necessary when overclocking Athlon 64 systems. On the other hand, a Pentium 4 or socket A nForce 2 system would almost need better RAM for overclocking purposes since there are performance hits when not running RAM and CPU speeds at 1:1.

Plenty of gamers in there right mind are using Intel systems. No gaming enthusiast who knows what he/she is doing would go for an Intel system anymore, but there was quite a long period of time when AMD didn't have anything to compete with high-end Intel chips. Most people are still using their Athlon XPs and Pentium 4s (if not something older), in which case lower-latency RAM can be noticably beneficial for both overclocking and stock performance.

Comment

Working...
                            X