WinXP won't shut off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP won't shut off

OK all you XP Gurus, let's see what we can do here.

My problem is that my system will not shut down...period.

When I tell the system to shut down, it goes through it's little process and then hangs on the screen that says that it is now safe to turn of your computer. Though it's a pain, I would have been willing to go ahead and manually shut down from there, but the Power button does nothing. I can't turn it off. I end up having to hit the reset button, and then turn off the power once it makes it to the memory test spot on the reboot.

What gives? I like the new OS so far, but this is a royal pain!

BTW... I tried to use the registry hacks listed in the sticky of this forum, but I was unable to find the keys listed in the spots that they were supposed to be in the advice.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Sorry can't help ya there as my piece of sh!t actually does shut down with XP were in 98 or 98SE it will just hang at the cursor no matter what and I've tried all the tricks to fix it.
    <center></center>

Comment

I ran across Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooter toward the bottom of the page is some info related to what you describe.
      Hope it helps:eek:

You might take a look too Wiggo, 9x resources there as well
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Have u tried playing around with acpi settings (silly question - I know u already have) in the bios
        http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

It's disabled, and all power management features in the OS are turned off as well.
          My Toys

Comment

have u tried it when its on?
            http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

uhh, do you have the soft boot type of power button or the hard boot kind? if its hard just turn it off, if its soft should work, try turning back ON acpi...doesn't seem to affect it much, i think...

Comment

Since I had a bit of time, I searched through the registry and found the keys referred to in the post from Grim. I have made those changes, and will see if it helps out some. If not, then I'll try to turn on the ACPI functions in the BIOS to see if it helps. It should be all right as long as I still keep everything disabled within the OS.

Other than that, everything seems to be working very well. :D
                My Toys

Comment

umm, darth, what edition of XP r u runnin?...when i read the prob i thought the reg hacks should fix it.....try creating the keys if they aren't there...hope this helps!
                  At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

Originally posted by [size=7
                    Mr. C[/size]]
                    I ran across Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooter toward the bottom of the page is some info related to what you describe.
                    Hope it helps:eek:

You might take a look too Wiggo, 9x resources there as well
                    Been there and done that plus a few other things as well but it my have something to do with the 2 nics that I'm runnin' but as this is basically a 24/7 job it doesn't worry me much at all but thanx all the same. ;)
                    <center></center>

Comment

did u use the F5 trick to disable the HAL?
                      I know with my PC if ya do that and don't have ACPI/APM enabled in bios, u don't have any apm/acpi bios drivers installed, if u do, there is the apm tab in power options that says enable apm support...maybe that is your prob, elsewise if its actually hanging at the"safe to turn off" that is diff to the usual things ppl have probs with that use grims "hacks" to fix it...

maybe try to do a manual "add hardware" see if its missing any crap that it hadn't found b4 (it can happen, believe me)

Comment

Grim,
                        I'm using WinXP Pro. I changed the values you had listed and it didn't help.

Skullshot,
                        I've not heard about an "F5 Trick". What exactly does it do, and when do you hit the F5 key?

BTW... I enabled ACPI again in the BIOS and it doesn't help eother, so next time I boot up, I'll disable it again. As for where it hangs, it has changed. I don't get to the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" screen anymore. I make it past the Saving screen, but it will nearly always hang now on the "Shutting down Windows" screen. It just dies out there and I have to do a forced reboot by hitting the reset button.

Looking at the link that Charles left, though, it seems to be a known problem that Microsoft will address in the first Service Pack that it releases. I just hope they hurry with it because this really kinda sucks. :(
                        My Toys

Comment

Still it's the same sorry story with software - get the latest, and wait for the patch.
                          Ahh well - it's true somethings never change!

Had any luck at all in the MS KB Darthtanion?
                          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

the f5 trick is basically just pushing f5 during the install when it says press f6 if you have any third party raid or scsi device drivers
                            SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
                            Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

Charles,
                              The Knowledge Base has a fix, but from what I read, it's not really recommended... so I'm kind of waiting for something a bit better.

SileNceR,
                              Damn... So I would have to reinstall again? That blows. :(
                              My Toys

Comment

Working...
                              X