New computer, failure to boot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New computer, failure to boot?

Hello, I have just built a system as follows: K8n Neo mobo, 512 mb ddr400, amd 64 3000+, geforce 6600GT AGP, thermaltake 480w psu. I'm pretty sure everything is put together correctly, but when I try to power on all I get is a very short course-sounding noise from the PSU, then nothing. TO make the noise again I have to turn off the psu, then turn it back on. when I turn it off after about 3 seconds I can hear an electronic whinding down noise. When turning the switch on the psu itself on initially, the green LAN data light flashes for a second.

This computer has never been turned on before, please help!

Thanks!

Re: New computer, failure to boot?

All I can say at the moment is make sure that all the connectors are properly attatched and that the ATX 12V is securly attached, as it will not work other wise, also it could be a PSU problem, I know that its new but try it in anther machine to rule out the possability.

Comment

Most common problem in this area seems to be that when mounting the motherboard, a standoff is in the wrong place, shorting out the board.

Take the MB out, make sure that all your standoffs are in the right place

While you have the MB out, lay it on some cardboard or foam, hook everything up, outside the computer, and see if it works then. If it does, then you've pretty much narrowed down the problem

Comment

When I install it in the computer, should I install it including the foam backign it came with?

Comment

No, it's just than when I build a computer, I first hook up all components outside of the case to make sure that everything works.
          Then, if it all works, and after installing inside the case, something doesn't work, then you've narrowed down the list of possible causes, and you know it's not because one of the components isn't bad.

From the problems you described, my first quess would be that something is shorting out, probably on the underside of the MB, that's why I mentioned making sure that your standoffs are correctly placed.

Comment

Can you explain standoffs, and how do I know if they are correctly aligned? It seems to only fit one way..also, some screws have a rubber washer, does it come into play?

Comment

Upon removel of the motherboard, the system POST's. However, it gets to the windowsxp loading screen and reboots, everytime. I hooked it up to my old master drive with the o/s installed and working, but still no boot. I entered BIOS and made it halt on no errors, etc, as I have nothing but the basics hooked up, that means no cd-rom, etc. Any suggestions?

Comment

Try going into Bios mabey it is a problem with the windows install(if it restarts while in bios then we know that we have a big problem), BTW windows XP dosent like moving to systems with diffrent hardware. Once in the bios goto the particular section that tells your temps and see if they are in a safe range, then post them here.

Comment

Nb = 82 F
                  CPU = 100 F

Comment

Working...
                  X