thermal paste

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thermal paste

I'm building a new system for the first time. It all goes very well, but i've got one little problem:

The thermal paste that has to be used on the cpu, does anybody know if it is a problem when this paste is also on the contacts (bridges) L1,L2,.... it's just a litlle, but i'm worried it conducts electricity.
    Please let me know
    thanks

is the thermal paste just your run-of-the-mill white silicon stuff or is it fancier stuff like arctic silver?

if its white silicon stuff, juat wipe it off, its not conductive

arctic silver on the other hand, although they say it isn't conductive, i would try get as much of the stuff off as i could
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Just use a little isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and a cotton swab. Once you get it cleaned off, just use an old T-shirt or something similar to wipe it off. Let a dry for about a minute and reapply your goop. That's it. :)
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
        is the thermal paste just your run-of-the-mill white silicon stuff or is it fancier stuff like arctic silver?

if its white silicon stuff, juat wipe it off, its not conductive

arctic silver on the other hand, although they say it isn't conductive, i would try get as much of the stuff off as i could
        artic silver is very conductive, don't know why they bother saying it isn't...a friend of mine had one tiny little fingerprint of the stuff on the back of his Geforce3 and it would work, but after he wiped it of it worked fine, pretty lucky ey?

Comment

Bad:

Comment

Bad:

Comment

Ya. That's waaaaay too much, unless he's trying to do some insulation stuff...:eek:

Comment

Good:

:D

Comment

Wow, it's incredible how in that pic it's all nicely smoothed over the core thinly and evenly without any drips on the edges! I'm impressed! :geek:
                  Onyx

TweakTown
                  OCAU - Overclockers Australia
                  CPF - CandlePower Forums

Antec 1080AMG with 430W TruePower

Comment

yep, too get the perfect amount, use a bussiness card to apply it evenly and smothly :thumb:

Comment

I advise against using a cotton swab to remove the thermal goop/paste. The cotton on the swab can stick/leave traces of itself behind and hinder the thermal conductivity.
                      I also advise against usign a t-shirt for, well, anything to do with cleaning a computer component. (except cds of course) :)

Youre best bet would be to get a lint-free cloth. Wander into your optometrist and ask for one.
                      Why lint-free?
                      wet a window or something, and use a tissue or paper towel or something similar to clean the wet window. Look at all the **** left behind on the glass.

Thats why.

Also, use a (clean) credit card and not a business card to smear the paste/goop over the core/heatsink. It will get a more even spread, and again- plastic wont leave anything behind as long as its clean.

Comment

To remove termal paste I just use some everyday, common rubbing alcohol. As far as the extra on your processor I would take and old rag and use to end of it to wipe off as much as I could. Then put a tough of the alcohol on the rage and wipe off the rest of the subborn goop.:thumb:

Comment

I've been using cotton swabs and old T-shirts to clean my processor cores for some time now, and have yet to have any issues with it. You can use them or not, but chances are good that you probably have these sitting around the house already.
                          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                          My Toys

Comment

Yea, I cut out a little square or clear flexible yet rigid plastic and use it. I use my masonry skills (haha) to skreet the compound over the core evenly.

Comment

Working...
                            X