PDA

View Full Version : Is this an O.K. board?

Spongebob
12-22-2004, 08:25 AM
I need a board for an LGA775 P4 CPU and have been thinking about this one. I don't have DDR2 memory yet so it limits my choices a bit (using dual DDR 400). This board has PCI-express 16 and AGP 8X and I haven't seen too many boards with both slots plus the option of both DDR2 and DDR system memory. I don't like C-media sound but maybe it just sucks on my MSI board. Anyone know if the i915P + ICH6 chipset is worthy or would you use something else for gaming? I believe the price is unbeatable with the options.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-135-157&depa=0

Amd_Lover2004
12-22-2004, 09:06 AM
I find that quite interesting, didnt think the AGP and PCI-E slots could be used on the same board... Might be a "one or the other" Kinda thing not both, but I can be sure.

Seems to be a lower end board and you probably wont get a huge amount of proformance out of it, depending on what CPU and what applications you plan on using it for, Games, Vidoe edit, and so forth.

Yawgm0th
12-22-2004, 09:34 AM
No LGA775 system is good for gaming. I wouldn't use any of them for a gaming machine ever, and neither would anyone else in their right mind (that isn't being payed to, which is different). I wouldn't use that board in any case as it's not that great a board, even for LGA775.

As for the AGP, if I remember correctly, that board actually uses what is called "AGP Express," which is basically a regular PCI (not PCI-E) slot made to fit (and work with) AGP video cards. The problem is that this actually does reduce performance for 4x and 8x cards, though PCI-E cards will perform fine.

If you really want to get a gaming system and a PCI-E motherboard, then buy one off eBay. They're (just the ASUS SLI) available there now and will be at online retailers soon.

Spongebob
12-22-2004, 10:16 AM
No LGA775 system is good for gaming. I wouldn't use any of them for a gaming machine ever, and neither would anyone else in their right mind (that isn't being payed to, which is different). I wouldn't use that board in any case as it's not that great a board, even for LGA775.

As for the AGP, if I remember correctly, that board actually uses what is called "AGP Express," which is basically a regular PCI (not PCI-E) slot made to fit (and work with) AGP video cards. The problem is that this actually does reduce performance for 4x and 8x cards, though PCI-E cards will perform fine.

If you really want to get a gaming system and a PCI-E motherboard, then buy one off eBay. They're (just the ASUS SLI) available there now and will be at online retailers soon.

I have a 3 GHZ LGA CPU so I need a board to go with it. What do you suggest?

Yawgm0th
12-22-2004, 11:18 AM
Depends. What is it going to be used for?

Spongebob
12-22-2004, 07:21 PM
Depends. What is it going to be used for?

Mostly gaming.

Yawgm0th
12-23-2004, 08:50 AM
I'd suggest you read this (http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2293) and base your choice off of what features you need and if you need overclockability.

Spongebob
12-24-2004, 09:28 AM
I'd suggest you read this (http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2293) and base your choice off of what features you need and if you need overclockability.

Thanks for the link. I don't think I'll invest $190 into that MSI board that took gold though, I like MSI for the somewhat stable overclocking to a certain point but there also spendy boards. I'm tring to keep my mainboard budget under $120 (US) new or refurbished. The ECS brand got platnium but its not the same model I chose above for a fraction of the cost of the MSI board that I'd also have to spend $$$ on DDR2 memory (Not worth it right now). I think I'll save up for the big stuff when I build my AMD system this spring, but for this new Intel system its going to have to settle for a board that supports DDR memory.

Yawgm0th
12-26-2004, 07:36 AM
This (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-182&depa=0) looks good for a LGA775 board using DDR.

Spongebob
12-26-2004, 12:22 PM
This (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-182&depa=0) looks good for a LGA775 board using DDR.

Not bad! Do you think its better than the one I'm considering? If so, why?

Heres a link to it again.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-135-157&depa=0

Yawgm0th
12-27-2004, 01:30 PM
It's just a weaker performer, but feature-wise they aren't much different. The ECS has that AGP slot, but the ABIT has a third PCI-E slot (which is probably more likely to see use). The ABIT also has greater capacity for RAM. I'd go with the ABIT, but you probably wouldn't be unhappy with the ECS, and your wallet wouldn't be as light.

wayout44
12-27-2004, 06:23 PM
I find that quite interesting, didnt think the AGP and PCI-E slots could be used on the same board... Might be a "one or the other" Kinda thing not both, but I can be sure. The AGP slot on that mainboard is a PCI slot disguised as an AGP slot (it only runs at 33MHz).

Amd_Lover2004
12-27-2004, 06:28 PM
HAH thought somthing was funny, man that must realy kill a 6800 (or any high end card for that matter) proformance wise eh?

wayout44
12-27-2004, 06:29 PM
It will bottleneck any AGP card.

sr4470
12-27-2004, 09:16 PM
Its powered by the electrical lines from 2 PCI slots, hence the "AGP Express" designation...as a temporary solution its ok (i.e. you dont need to get a PCI-E vga card just to use the pc)

Spongebob
12-27-2004, 09:56 PM
It's just a weaker performer, but feature-wise they aren't much different. The ECS has that AGP slot, but the ABIT has a third PCI-E slot (which is probably more likely to see use). The ABIT also has greater capacity for RAM. I'd go with the ABIT, but you probably wouldn't be unhappy with the ECS, and your wallet wouldn't be as light.

That ECS's big sister board took platnuim in the test you linked me to. You sure the Abit board is a better performer? I don't think I'll ever need more than 2 GB of system Ram on this new board, plus the ECS board can also use DDR2, it'll be upgraded long before 1 GB of system ram is needed by myself. I'm not really sure what I'd use the extra PCI-E slot for just yet, but you might be right about that, although I don't use anything but my AGP ports for video cards in my current systems since most boards already have built in Lan and half-way decent sound. I'm hessatent about what to order but I'm going to do it soon.

Yawgm0th
12-29-2004, 01:07 PM
Pretty sure I already mentioned how the AGP was a PCI slot in disguise...

The fact that another ECS board is actually good is irrelevant. This one has some serious power comsumption issues because of the PCI slot used as an AGP slot, but it probably won't matter unless you actually try to use the AGP slot. In any case, I just wouldn't get that ECS out of principle. It's the considerably cheaper than all of the other i915 boards on the market, and you get what you pay for. I just can't believe that they can have an AGP slot (well, not quite... you know already) and support for both DDR and DDR2 on the same board and cost so much less than all of the other boards on the same chipset without taking shortcuts in something important.

However, I can't see any major flaws with it for a non-OCed gaming system other than the fact that it's an LGA775 board, which would be the case with every other LGA775 board (let me think of a way to be even more redundant in that sentence...). The one review I read on it, if I remember correctly, didn't have any major problesm except with AGP express port. It did perform worse, but I don't think it was so much worse that it matters...

Spongebob
12-31-2004, 11:15 AM
Pretty sure I already mentioned how the AGP was a PCI slot in disguise...

The fact that another ECS board is actually good is irrelevant. This one has some serious power comsumption issues because of the PCI slot used as an AGP slot, but it probably won't matter unless you actually try to use the AGP slot. In any case, I just wouldn't get that ECS out of principle. It's the considerably cheaper than all of the other i915 boards on the market, and you get what you pay for. I just can't believe that they can have an AGP slot (well, not quite... you know already) and support for both DDR and DDR2 on the same board and cost so much less than all of the other boards on the same chipset without taking shortcuts in something important.

However, I can't see any major flaws with it for a non-OCed gaming system other than the fact that it's an LGA775 board, which would be the case with every other LGA775 board (let me think of a way to be even more redundant in that sentence...). The one review I read on it, if I remember correctly, didn't have any major problesm except with AGP express port. It did perform worse, but I don't think it was so much worse that it matters...

I probably would never use that AGP slot unless I someday sell the system and need to ditch an old AGP graphics card (likely to happen). I don't think I'll be ordering the board for another week or two so I'm still going to shop around. I know LGA 775 isn't the greatest but I have a CPU that needs a board so I am definitly in the market for an LGA 775 motherboard and I don't want to spend a bundle becuase I'll be building another system this Spring and I'll probably go AMD and dump bigger $$$ into it since I've managed to sell both my P4 2.4GHz systems and need upgrades, but this one comes first.
Do you really think boards with both DDR and DDR2 memory slots might be short changed? There seems to be a heeping pile of them available but if a board with just 1 type has advantages I'd consider it.

Yawgm0th
12-31-2004, 11:57 AM
I just have trouble believing that they can sell it cheaper then every other board on the same chipset and still be able to include support for both. Usually, this indicates shortcuts being taken somewhere in the board production, IMO.

But I guess you can always return it to Newegg if you aren't happy with it.