PDA

View Full Version : Win2000 and Win98 Networking Problems....

2Some
12-05-2001, 09:27 AM
Hi guys
I'm running Win2000 pro on my main system and I'm trying to network it with one of my other PC's which is running Win98se. I'm not using a hub or switch just conventional peer to peer is what I require.

I have no problems accessing a shared folder on the Win98 machine but I can't get the Win98 machine to access my shared folders on my Win2000 machine sucessfully. I know that it may be a problem with my permissions. I know file sharing done on win2000 is quite different from getting it to work on a win98 machine as there are no security features on Win98, please help guys.... :afro:

Kheldar
12-05-2001, 11:05 AM
ok u have to create a user with the same name as the user that is logged on win98 machine

to find out what his name go to start- shutdown-logoff XXXX

on the win2k machine go to the control panel - admin tools - computer management - users and groups

create a new user - make sure that its not asking for the user to change their password on first login and then u should be right

2Some
12-05-2001, 10:49 PM
Hey there mate
Thanx so much for replying to my post and you are exactly correct about the fact that I had to create a user. I had a feelin it had to do with user creation but wasn't too sure where to go to do it.

I also initially thought that I didn't have to create a user due to the fact that I thought that only applied to Windows 2000 server and advanced server, guess I was wrong hey.... :rolleyes:

Anyways, I worked it out and everything is now sweet as mate.

Thanx again dude....:p

Kheldar
12-06-2001, 05:48 PM
its a fairly common mistake not to realize that when u load win98 you are logged in as a specific user

Took me a while to work out the answer when i first had trouble

The Wizard
12-11-2001, 06:38 PM
now all you need is a wins/dns server to speed up network neighborhood browsing, and you should be set, course then you might as well want to add a domain controller, and then a...........

lol!!:cantfocus :cantfocus

sKuLLsHoT
12-13-2001, 08:22 PM
Print Server.....and then a Ghost server...and then....

Andy
12-14-2001, 07:12 AM
net serevr .... and an mp3 serevr......and a CS server.... :p

The Wizard
12-15-2001, 04:39 AM
i think the last one should have been bumped to the top. :)