Memery settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memery settings

I'm running MSI NEO 2 PLATINUM with athlon 64 3500 cpu. I bought kingston KHX 3200 1GB 128M x 64 Bit PC3200 CL 2.5 184pin dimm Memory. For this type of memory I got to go in the bios and set the memory settings for the ram to work properly. My question is how do I find out each of these settings so I can manully set up my bios:
    CAS# Latency (TLC)
    RAS# to CAS# delay (TRCD)
    Min RAS# active time (TRAS)
    Row Precharge Time (TRP)

Now here is some Spec's for this memory:
    Programmable Read Latency 2.5,3 (clock)
    Programmable Busrt Lenght (2,4,8)
    Timing Reference: 2.5-3-3-7-1 @ +2.6V

any help would be great I'm tired of my system crashing...

Re: Memery settings

You open up your BIOS and look around until you find the section on RAM. You'll likely have to change the control options from something along the lines of "optimal" or "default" to something like "aggressive" or "expert." But exactly what is it that you think your RAM's timings are causing crashes?

Anyway, set your timings for 2.5-3-3-11 (CAS-tRP-tRCD-tRAS).

Comment

why 11? I'm pretty sure most Rams sold in stores like best buy n circuit city are all 2.5-3-3-7. Is it because of the math about adding the first three or something... I forgot.

Comment

Athlon64's like that setting between 9 and 13 with 10 usually being the most common but you'll have to use a memory benchmark to be sure of which setting is the best for your setup.

Comment

Thanks guys for the reply,I went in my bios and set everything manully.The reason I think the memory is causing the crashes is because when it crashes I get error codes and they are saying it's my memory. For future reference how do I get the numbers you came up with??

Comment

Originally posted by jd53887
            why 11? I'm pretty sure most Rams sold in stores like best buy n circuit city are all 2.5-3-3-7. Is it because of the math about adding the first three or something... I forgot.
            Actually it's 10 (got myself confused...) ... Like Wayout said. In almost all cases, 10 is the best tRAS setting for an Athlon 64 system. P4s tend to be better at 5 or 6, and socket A systems best use the formula of CAS + tRDC + 2 <= tRAS, but in all cases some benchmarking may be needed to find the best spot.

As for the errors, those just identify the area of memory where the problem occured. They do not always (or even usually) mean it's a RAM error.

Comment

Working...
            X