No announcement yet.

Do I need a certain type of PSU for a P4 LGA775 mainboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need a certain type of PSU for a P4 LGA775 mainboard?

Do I need a certain type of PSU for a P4 LGA775 mainboard? I was thinking that maybe the main connector might be different than the standard 24 pin or maybe some other type of connection is different that the original P4 boards required.

Re: Do I need a certain type of PSU for a P4 LGA775 mainboard?

Not really but this article will explain more about the latest ATX12V 2.01 standard.

Comment

Actually, the 24-pin layout is the new design. The old one used a 20-pin connection, but there are adapters available that will handle the change-over easily. As long as the PSU and motherboard are using the same ATX 2.0 standards for power output you're fine.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
        Actually, the 24-pin layout is the new design. The old one used a 20-pin connection, but there are adapters available that will handle the change-over easily. As long as the PSU and motherboard are using the same ATX12V 2.0 standards for power output you're fine.

I noticed that, meant 20 pin standard. Do you know if LGA 775 are all ATX 2.0 compliant and how do you tell? Also are these boards 20 pin or 24 pin?

One more thing. can you suggest a good but not overpriced ATX12V 2.0 PSU at newegg? I might just get one. I'm assuming the 20 pin converter is included (retail).
        Last edited by Spongebob; 01-03-2005, 12:59 PM.

Comment

As far as I am aware there are no LGA775 motherboard using a format besides ATX 2.0, but all you need to do is check out the specs of the mainboard you're getting and double check. If you already have the board then just check the manual. If you're planning on buying the board then check out the manufacturer's website.

the Antec Neo-Power 480w and the Thermaltake PurePower 480w are both models that offer the adapter. I like both these brands of power supply as they are solid performers and have steady power levels across all voltage rails. There are others as well but it really depends on your power needs and your budget.
          My Toys

Comment

Whats PFC stand for? I see this alot while looking at PSU's.

eg. PFC N\A, PFC Passive, or PFC Active.

Do you know if ESP12V PSU's work with this? They have 24 pin connections but are listed differently from the ATX 12v v2.0 PSU's

Also did a Google search an it looks like every LGA 775 board has a 24 pin main adapter. Looks like I'll be getting a new PSU unless there is such a thing as a 20 pin to 24 pin adapter. I know the oppisite exists but I'm not sure about this.
            Last edited by Spongebob; 01-03-2005, 05:58 PM.

Comment

PFC = Power Factor Corerction. It is supposed to deliver a cleaner and more efficient power load thus saving money on your electric bill. I haven't found much difference between performance of the models with and without it so don't let this influence your buying decision.

I don't know anything about the ESP line of power supplies (I'm assuming this is a name brand?) as I haven't tested them.

Yes, there is an available adapter for your current power supply if you feel it is up to the task of handling a modern system.
              My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
                I don't know anything about the ESP line of power supplies (I'm assuming this is a name brand?) as I haven't tested them.

Thanks for the link and info. ESP 12v is not a brand name, it is a type of PSU. I think they were designed for the Xeon CPU mainboards. I know very little about them except for the fact that I accidently ordered one of these PSU's a long time ago for a P4 system and found out the main connector had 24 pins instead of 20 then had to return it for the right PSU. I know they have been around for atleast 2 years now.

Comment

Working...
                X