Eide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eide

im practising for my A+ test......... i have pdf full of questions,.........1 ? bothers me, the qustion goes

a user has 2 EIDE hard drives on a PC. On the second EIDE controller, the user has 1 DVD-ROM and a CDRW. The user wants to add another hard drive. How can this be accomplished.

A.the user will have to use a cable with 4 plugs

B.the mother board only has 2 controllers, he will have to install a addintional controler card.

C.the EIDE technolgy has limiations, so the user can not fit any more EIDE drives

D.if the user fits another drive, the system will be slow and unstable.

it says the answer is B....i thought it would be C...is that right or wrong?

Re: Eide

B is correct. For a good long while now, modern motherboards have a pair of IDE controllers built onto the board; each of which will handle two devices. In order to get more devices installed you will have to use a separate PCI controller card (or SCSI if you decide to go that route). This is a common task for those looking for large amounts of storage. Somce PCI controller cards will also allow the use of a RAID.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Technically all those answers are wrong, as not all motherboards have only 2 channels these days so it cannot be assumed always so, especially if your taking the A+ exam.

Comment

Look at the question... it readily implies the presence of a second IDE controller onboard. It is also possible that a system spec was given as header information to a series of questions.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
          Look at the question... it readily implies the presence of a second IDE controller onboard. It is also possible that a system spec was given as header information to a series of questions.
          Yeah, and whatever the case is, B is the most accurate answer, as you already stated.

Comment

Working...
          X