motherboard identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motherboard identification

quick question, what program is there that will tell you what chipset your board has? i know mine is intel made but i need to find out the exact chipset and dont have the intruction manual.

edit: actually not only do i need that but i need a way of identifying the exact board that i have all together. is there any serial number i can look for or the name or anything like that, that will tell me the exact model cause i need to download the manual for it off intel.com
    Last edited by steve-0o0; 01-14-2005, 09:49 PM.

Re: motherboard identification

MVsoft PCinfo, is one program that does all that but it works in Windows meaning the OS will have to be installed before you use it. (Kinda senseless).....

You should be able to find what you need by looking at your board and getting the numbers off the mainboard and chipset itself, then if you need drivers do a Google search (works wonders).

Comment

CPU-Z is a reliable soarce for motherboard model numbers, the chipset is sometimes hit and miss in my experiance... But you should be able to figure out the chipset by searching for the model number on a few websites(Intel.com would be best).

Comment

hmmm ok im confused now. i downloaded the program and it says under motherboard Copyright i845G-W627-6A69VM4VC-00 (Socket 478). i looked on intel.com and there was no i845g on it. i did a search on google and it didnt bring up anything on it, just said in a article that the i845g is a "reference" design.

any tips on what serial number i am looking for on my board? i see many numbers and i dont know witch 1 to pick? also if you have any idea who makes a i845g post a link to the site because i need to dl the instruction manual for it. thx

Comment

Originally posted by steve-0o0
          hmmm ok im confused now. i downloaded the program and it says under motherboard Copyright i845G-W627-6A69VM4VC-00 (Socket 478). i looked on intel.com and there was no i845g on it. i did a search on google and it didnt bring up anything on it, just said in a article that the i845g is a "reference" design.

any tips on what serial number i am looking for on my board? i see many numbers and i dont know witch 1 to pick? also if you have any idea who makes a i845g post a link to the site because i need to dl the instruction manual for it. thx

I845g is a common chipset. http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/845g/

As for the board, I have reason to beleive that it is an MSI board from the Google search I did. Possibly one of these models MSI 845GEM / 845GLMS / 845GVM / MS-6526G(L. Heres a link to search MSI to see if your board matches one of the above models. http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...GEM-L&class=mb

Comment

i found the model number underneath a sticker on the board and it said : Micro Star model no. MS- 6577

i tried a search on the ms site but nuttin popped up maybe you know another way to search for the model?

edit: i was looking through a support guide to model numbers and since mine was made before 2003 it said the real model number is ms 6577-010 but i searched that and no hope again :(

this is turning really hard just to find out a simple thing.

another edit: i also found by using the intructions given from microstars site that my model name is N1996, it sounds more like another model number but according to them this should be the name of my model but when i do a search on there website they say my model number or model just doesnt exist. searched google to and no info there. :(
            Last edited by steve-0o0; 01-15-2005, 03:17 AM.

Comment

That must be an HP\Compaq computer with an MSI board. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ectID=bph07843

I suggest simply typing in the model number of your (possible) HP computer at the Driver download section on HP's website. Everything should be there you need. MSI does not support your board, looks like it was made for 3rd party companies to slap into their systems (mass production), and possibly only for HP\Compaq. Drivers shouldn't be much of a problem to find, although there is another revision of the board which is slightly different, so keep that in mind. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...2&locale=en_US
              Last edited by Spongebob; 01-15-2005, 12:16 PM.

Comment

thanks alot its probably the rev 2 cause the first one looks kinda yellowish/greenish and the 2nd board is just all green and also looks exactly like mine.

hopefully last question: i was looking around on there website and can't seem to find a manual for it, the whole reason why i need it is cause a while back i ended up buying a custom hp pc. it had the p4 with same board i got now, different graphics card and 512 ram with really small hp case.

since then ive been upgrading it like buying a different case (witch is one of those huge cooling cases with like 7 fans) gig of memory, and a 9800pro.

the reason why i need the manual for it is cause the new case comes with many different connecters (you know for the tempature readings, powere button, reset, fans ect. and i need the online manual for the board and cant seem to find it on there site.

I looked at the old case and it said hp pavilion 700 on the back sticker and looked at the front of the case and it said hp pavilion 753. Dont know if this would help seeing how it was custom built but thought i might post it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by steve-0o0
                  thanks alot its probably the rev 2 cause the first one looks kinda yellowish/greenish and the 2nd board is just all green and also looks exactly like mine.

hopefully last question: i was looking around on there website and can't seem to find a manual for it, the whole reason why i need it is cause a while back i ended up buying a custom hp pc. it had the p4 with same board i got now, different graphics card and 512 ram with really small hp case.

since then ive been upgrading it like buying a different case (witch is one of those huge cooling cases with like 7 fans) gig of memory, and a 9800pro.

the reason why i need the manual for it is cause the new case comes with many different connecters (you know for the tempature readings, powere button, reset, fans ect. and i need the online manual for the board and cant seem to find it on there site.

I looked at the old case and it said hp pavilion 700 on the back sticker and looked at the front of the case and it said hp pavilion 753. Dont know if this would help seeing how it was custom built but thought i might post it anyway.
                  If your using a 9800 pro video card with that board you have bottlenecks. For instance the board only supports AGP 4X where your card is capable of AGP 8x. This isn't a big deal but since you have invested heavily into a nice video card and Ram why in the world would you want a crappy HP case and such a LOW end motherboard anyway? Those connectors might be hard to impossible to find if this board was made for HP. The connectors on that motherboard you are talking about might not work on a standard ATX case (HP parity). A new motherboard to fit your new case probably wouldn't cost you a whole lot as long as the case is not a parity brand like HP. but don't get the board from HP! Shop for it at Newegg or some other online place that sells mainboards.

You could call HP to order a manual for that system or find out if there is a downloadable version of it. I'm guessing even if HP has a manual it won't tell you what you need to know anyway. The HP manuals I've seen don't inform you much about upgrades except for maybe system Ram. Taking out a motherboard and replacing the case, FORGET IT! They want you to buy a new out of date computer from them instead of replacing motherboards. Your up against a brick wall with companies like that.

Comment

i know i know i see what your saying thats why i posted here for some help. so your saying to replace the motherboard. ive alrdy replaced the case with a nice aspire x-superalien case and i have a gig of ram in it right now but i have another gig a ram that is dual channel laying around that would help my system.

my only problem is i really dont want to spend alot of money on a new board.
                    any suggestions on what to get if getting a new board would be the case in your opinion? would be looking for something stable and might have decent overclocking with dual channel support and agp8x.

also would it be better to wait a year to replace the p4 2.53 processer and the crappy hp board with a 64 bit processer and good board or replace the board now and then in a year replace both again?? may sound a bit confusing but i dont like spending lots of money and trying to find the best buy here

thanks alot for takin time to help me with this it is much appreciated :)

edit: also by how much would i see preformance increase and how much is my current board bottlenecking me now??? i never thought that my current one was bottlenecking me....
                    Last edited by steve-0o0; 01-15-2005, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Since you say you have a p4 2.6GHZ CPU (good CPU no need to upgrade yet) and we have determined its a socket 478 I'll write you book here about the mainboards you might consider for the CPU you alraedy have.

Your Aspire case has 2 x USB2.0, 1 x IEEE1394, 2 x Audi0 front ports so you should choose a mainboard with those features unless you don't care to use them (I know I have no use for them, except the USB ports) but maybe you do or someone that you might sell your system to down the road might also. Boards with integrated IEEE1394 seem to run a bit more $$ and limit your selection. Its kinda useless if you ask me but some extrnal drives can use IEEE1394 or more often USB 2.0.. You can always buy an IEEE1394 PCI connector for the back of your system if you really feel you need that. (bout $10)... I believe all of these boards listed below have front USB and 1 audio hookup.

Going Mainboard shopping for you.......

I recommend a mainboard with the I865PE chipset on it but they cost a little more than most.
                      This would be a nice one made by MSI.

If your CPU supports hyperthreading (HT) then you could go with a board that supports that feature also. You can still get an HT board even if your CPU does not support that feature.

Heres a niCe ASUS board. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-484&depa=0

Now if you feel you need that front IEEE1394 port. I'd go this way. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-492&depa=0

If you want to go with a cheaper brand and still get a good upgrade from what you have I'd check out this board for only $68. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...170-109&depa=0

Well now you should have a general idea of what you need. Any brand of board from Newegg will work with your case as long as its ATX format, just make sure it supports your 478 socket CPU and your memory then you should be set. I'd do a little shopping around or you could even consider a refurbished board and download the manual and drivers for it to save some cash. Don't worry about finding a manual for it we are not talking HP here, and since you have already gone this far into it those system panel connectors will be a breeze to connect once you get your new board:).

Heres some nice refurbished boards that'll save you big$$.

Hers a nice ASUS board with your front IEEE1394 hookup for the case.
                      Last edited by Spongebob; 01-15-2005, 07:18 PM.

Comment

much thanks, i was lookin around for a new one on the net and found the same one you posted a link for the ASUS "P4P800 SE" i865PE Chipset Motherboard. I know that asus is a good brand so i was eyeing that one.

quick question is this a good value buy for now if i would be upgrading my processor/board in a year or a little more, and how much of a performance gain would i see if i bought a new 1?? also what exactly is a refurbished board?

oh ya this may sound like a stupid question but kind of ram sockets does it need to be to support ddr pc3200 ram. like for example it says supports ddr400,333,222 stuff like that.
                        Last edited by steve-0o0; 01-15-2005, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Its a good upgrade for now but if you are going to upgrade your CPU down the road, I'm guessing you will be getting a different mainboard since socket 478 days are limited. Your P4 2.6 GHZ CPU is good for now. I built a system for someone with that speed of CPU a year ago and it runs all the latest and greatest games like a champ at defualt settings and believe me your 9800 pro video card will smoke the Geforce FX5600 card I slapped into that one.

Also all those boards are good with your ram. DDR pc 3200 is good stuff . Just make sure its 184 pin-Dimm ram and your set. Yours probably is 333 speed.

Refrubished at Newegg means it was previously used but sent back within its 30 day warranty period. It's a bad board that was made good or most likely someone sent it back becuase they didn't know what they were doing and thought something didn't work right but it probably did, most likely an incompatibility issue with other hardware . Newegg sells good refurbished boards. I've had excellent luck with all the refurbished stuff I've ever ordered from there to date including mainboards. You only get a 15 day warranty period from Newegg versus 30 day when a mainboards refurbished but I beleive the manufactures warranty is still in full, read the fine print just incase you have concerns. For a $40 mainboard, what the heck, thats like what 1 video game cost!
                          Last edited by Spongebob; 01-15-2005, 10:07 PM.

Comment

i can see what your saying but can you answer my question on how much of a performance increase i would see with the duel channel and agp8x upgrades. keep in mind that i alrdy have a gig of ram that isnt duel channel but i have 2 identical pc3200 512 sticks laying around for the duel channel plus im flashing my 9800pro to a 9800xt.

and again would it really be worth it?

i am eyeing the ASUS "P4P800 SE" i865PE Chipset Motherboard all i hear is good things from it.

Comment

By looking at your old mainboard I'd say it would be a noticable upgrade. What exactly are you looking at doing anyway? If your happy with the board you have, I'd say stick it back in the HP case and learn to live with it until you feel the need to upgrade. I could never live with that HP system.

The new chipset on the new board would be a gain in performance, the 8X AGP would be a small gain but noticable with that nice video card that you have, and ATA 133 would be even a smaller gain in hard drive speed providing your harddrive is capable of that versus the ATA 66\100 that your old baord has. HT is a small gain if your CPU is capable of that. Dual channel is a small gain but considering your old board is a real peice of work, I think one of those cheaper boards I showed you would be well worth the upgrade when you add everything up. MSI also makes good boards and the real MSI boards that I've ran across lately are very simple to overclock in the bios, you'd never be able to get that old chipset and board to do that, but a P4 2.6 GHZ cpu, combined with a healthy motherboard without any bottlenecks using that Radeon 9800 pro video card would play the latest and greatest video games at a medium to high setting without any overclocking.

Things you should also consider is your operating system. Do you have a full version of Windows XP? If a disk came with your HP system you should be able to use that as long as you slipstream it on another disk using a program called nlite. The floppy drive from your HP case might not have a front cover so you might want a new diskette drive ($10 at newegg) if you feel you need one. It might be a good time to upgrade your harddrive if you feel the need for more storage space. Pick up a little thermal paste at a local computer shop ($1 or less) or order some fancy stuff from Newegg to put between the heatsink and CPU, and make sure you clean the old stuff off before you install it. Now you should be set!

Comment

Working...
                              X