Virgin Slak install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin Slak install

Yep, Ive been Slaking and have noticed some things are waaaay outta date, or I cant do things I could in the 'drake.

Just installed Slakware 8.0 in other words.

What needs to be updated/fixed? and where do I get em from basically.

Current problems:

Cant mount fat32 partitions. (or NTFS)
    Cant get sound. (SB Live! DE5.1)
    Cant create a user with 'power user' status. I got a user created, but he cant do jack. cant even modify a config file.
    Cant get network card to work, despite Slak saying its all detected and working fine. (D-Link DFE 550TX)
    Cant get slak to boot directly into a GUI. I gotta do text-login, then startx. I think I gotta do a runlevel change and edit a file somewhere....

All of those I could do when I had the drake (8.0) installed.

Slack 8.0 has been out for quite a while now, when you consider that kernel-2.4.5 was fresh when it came out. You can get upto date packages in the /slackware-current directory of any good slack mirror or upgrade from source when needed. First thing I do after a fresh install is a new kernel. I don't think it will be long untill slack 8.1 arrives, and it should include kde/qt3 as well :)
    p-two.net

Comment

Funny you should mention a new kernel-

I downloaded the 2.4.18 full kernel today. (had some time to kill, so i thought- why not?)

Ive followed the instructions, done the make config, make dep, make modules, make modules_install and the magical make bzImage.

Ive moved the image file from the /boot to my /root (as thats where my old kernel is) and added it to LILO. Ive /sbin/lilo and it tells me all is good and its added the new kernal entry I made.
      However, when rebooting I dont get asked to boot the new kernel. It boots the old one every time.

re:KDE
      I know where to get it from, found a nice mirror, but theres literally 80 files in the directory. How the heck am I supposed to know what ones to get?

Comment

You can change the default boot kernel in lilo.conf, you can also increase the delay so you have time to hit the left shift key which will give you a lilo menu where you can select to boot the new kernel.
        p-two.net

Comment

Sweet. Ill have a poke through lilo.conf

what about kde?
          Im going to give 3.0 a miss, and stick with 2.2.2

What files do I need?

Comment

Hmm, well that didnt go down too well. :(

I restarted just after that post ^^ and brought up the lilo boot menu. I selected my new kernel entry and it loaded about 5 lines of that text before blanking out on me. Screen looses vsync and im gotta reboot into my old kernel.

I recompiled and put the new image file(s) to their respective locations and tried again- same problem.

Im following a kernel howto guide i found at /. which basically tells me download the new kernal, expand it into my /user/src/newlinux
            run make config, make dep, make modules, make modules_install and then make bzImage.

when I look at my lilo.conf file, the old kernal entry (vmlinuz) is loaded from my /root directory. so i move the bzImage file from where i compiled it to there, add it to lilo.conf run /sbin/lilo and watch it tell me all is hokey pokey.
            reeboot, select the new kernel- watch it blank out.

Ideas?

Comment

The kernel that you need to install is /usr/src/linux-2.4.18/arch/i386/boot/bzImage the vmlinux in /usr/src/linux is not the one you want. That being said you probably missed the virtulal frame buffer support if your getting a blank screen during boot. The easiest way to do a new kernel is to load up the .config from your previous kernel ( or from the default slack 2.4.5 kernel) and modify that for your new kernel. The . in front of the file name means a hidden file, you'll have to do "ls -al" to see the .config file, or do View--->Show Hidden Files in konqueror.
              p-two.net

Comment

Originally posted by Bahamut Zer0
                [B]
                what about kde?
                Im going to give 3.0 a miss, and stick with 2.2.2

What files do I need?
                The following ones are deps that need to be up to date for kde2.2.2
                audiofile
                htdig
                lesstif
                libxml2
                libxslt
                openssl
                pcre
                Then we have kde2.2.2 (build in this order)
                kdelibs
                kdebase
                kdoc
                kdeutils
                kdemultimedia
                kdenetwork
                kdeadmin
                kdeartwork
                kdegames
                kdetoys
                kdepim
                kdegraphics
                kdesdk
                kdevelop
                kdeaddons
                Kdelibs and kdebase are required the rest are optional but you need kdenetwork for kmail and kdeutils for the archiver etc.
                p-two.net

Comment

bloody hell. Thatsa lotta files.
                  Im going to get this kernel sorted out first.

Ive recompiled and studied every option during the setup process to see why the screen blanks out but no such luck in fixing it. Ill fire up that .config from my old (current) kernel and see how that goes.

If in doubt, expect an icq message.
                  You should write a kernel howto (if not already)
                  the ones on the net are weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Bahamut Zer0
                    [B]bloody hell. Thatsa lotta files.
                    Im going to get this kernel sorted out first.
                    Yes, and with slack you can install from source with the defaulte just by doing ./configure, make and make install.
                    [b]
                    Ive recompiled and studied every option during the setup process to see why the screen blanks out but no such luck in fixing it. Ill fire up that .config from my old (current) kernel and see how that goes.
                    Have a close look at virtual frame buffer support in the stock config.
                    [b]
                    If in doubt, expect an icq message.
                    No problems :-)
                    [b]
                    You should write a kernel howto (if not already)
                    the ones on the net are weak.
                    ...hmmmm...I might put up a slack tip sheet at p-two.
                    p-two.net

Comment

slak tip sheet would be awesome.

anyhoo, heres my current problem:
                      I used the .config from my stock kernel and compiled a new one

This time the kernel loads, detects my soundcard (at last!) and a whole host of other cool stuff the kernel never detected. (USB HID and DMA for me hdd etc) but I still got problems:

Kernel Panic- unable to mount root fs check for a correct root= option.

Ive done that, its all a-ok. I can even boot my old kernel still. but now i cant startx anymore. (no screens found)

Comment

Post the error message from your /var/log/XFree96.0.log and if you're using the nvidia drivers you'll have to rebuild them against your new kernel.
                        p-two.net

Comment

Working...
                        X