How much worse is an oem product versus retail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much worse is an oem product versus retail

I'm going to upgrade my Intel based comp with an Amd setup. My question is what exactly is the difference between oem and retail? The price difference is very little really. I have my eyes on a killer Amd bundle. I'd add a link here but I've emptied my cookie box and now I'm an unregistered user, lol. Anyway, anyone get back to me. Thanks.

Retail is like buying a product in the store. You get the original manufactures box, any instructions etc. OEM is buying just that product. For instance, if i bought a retail video card. I would get the nice looking box, drivers, manuals etc. If i ordered it OEM, i would just get the video card in whatever the site packaged it in. I would have to get the drivers, and mauals online.
    Hope this helps.

Comment

WOW, really? So, If I got the Amd bundle I would have to get the drivers on line? Just what drivers would I need for, Well I'm getting a new mb, cpu, fan, and ddr memory for a decent price (I think) for this? And, how do I get online when my comp is in peices? hahaha. Get back to me. and thanks for the imput so far.http://www.accessmicro.com/bundle/in...DDR333#product I've put a link to the bundle before this, check it out and let me know what you think. After you get to the page scroll down the the amd bundles, the one I'm looking at is the second to the last. For the mb, I was looking at the Gigabyt GA-7VRXP with the KT333 chipset. I would like your imput on what type of a deal it is though. Thanks

Comment

No, you do get drivers with OEM stuff, if not then the place you brought it from will give em to ya. Most OEM stuff comes with its own driver cd, some come as part of a bulk order and only has one driver cd for the lot, in that case the business should burn a copy for ya. But with every OEM motherboard my business has ever bought has had its own driver cd, also manual, just a plain box and no IDE cables or extra USB backplates.

Comment

yeah, where are my IDE cables birdkiller? and I could use a few USB plates as well.. :)

Comment

Folks, the biggest difference between OEM and retail is warrant service. Standard retail products give you at least a year of warranty service, while the standard for OEM is no more than 30 days. OEM items that I have purchased have come with everything necessary to make it work, so in the case of a motherboard, it would come with a driver disk, necessary IDE cables, and maybe the additional USB plates for the back (depending on the company you buy it from).
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

I tend to agree with your bracket at the end there. (depending on which company you buy it from).

I've seen the OEM stuff arrive at birdkiller's work (he's in computer sales). They seriously just have a MB in an antistatic bag, a driver disk and maybe a manual (most are on the driver cd now). And if there's any nifty features that require components they might ship them too... and the warranty is still the same as retail...

Comment

yeah pretty much all the oem stuff we get has same warranty as retail.

i wish games had a OEM version. Microsoft used to, about $20 for any of their games, but not anymore. Well not really OEM but Not For Resale versions.

Comment

which for you was basically the same thing.. :)

Comment

yup, them were the days, then MS got greedy

Comment

I wouldn't say that OEM is worse than retail at all.
                      You get what you pay for, without the added cost of "frills and ribbons".
                      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Birdkiller,
                        If you're getting OEM materials with full factory warrabties, then stick with your supplier. I can't talk about business practices in Oz, but here in the States it is hard to find any OEM item with a real warranty. Most offer a 15 or 30 day guarantee that basically covers DOA and that's all. Unless it's a verifiable defect in workmanship, the end-user will normally be stuck holding the ball on the purchase.
                        My Toys

Comment

It has a 15 day return policy, and a 2 year warrenty

Comment

Then grab it.
                            Guess I'm gonna have to change my suppliers for components. :)
                            My Toys

Comment

Vendors seem to vary widely regarding warranties.
                              And of course there is a lot of differences to be found in that regard from one component/manufacturer to another.

I think it all goes back to the old adage; an informed consumer is a better consumer.
                              The more you know about the products offered and the vendor, the better choice you are likely to make.
                              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Working...
                              X