Can't Remove Norton Systemworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Remove Norton Systemworks

Okay, so I can't remove systemworks from my comp. Lately it's been telling me that I don't enough administration rights to remove the program. so i go to check the settings in systemworks and i can't open up the internet security options because, once again, i no longer have enough administrative rights.

So, now i'm effed because the friggin norton firewall wont let me access websites where i have to login securley. ie: ebay,paypal,usbank,and other's.

I dont know what to do. If someone could please help me, i would gladly appreciate it.

Oh, i have the software, but i dont think it would help much, seeing i can't use it cuz i dont have enough administrative rights. AHH!

Re: Can't Remove Norton Systemworks

Is it just SystemWorks that you cant remove or all programs? The "rights" that you are talking about come from the account that is currently signed into Windows. So if you signed into Windows as a "Guest" you wont be able to make system changes. Try rebooting and signing into Windows with another account, preferably your Adminstrater account for your computer, there is good chance you have one.

Comment

NO, i'm logged INTO MY ACCOUNT ADDISON WHICH IS ALSO THE ADMINISTRATION ACCOUNT. I"M NOT THAT STUPID.

now, let me re-explain myself, i cannot remove systemworks or internet security because something in my comp has changed that makes internet security think i'm not the administrator!

so, now i'm effed bcuz I cannot remove, repair, or upgrade norton, because computers that ARENT tagged as "administration" computers aren't able to do nething... it maybe easier to explain it to someone this way... it's like when u set privledges or install software like Bess where u set the access privledges onto computers where only 1 or 2 administrative computers set the access for the rest of the computers. In my case, my comp went from admin computer to one of the "rest" of the computers, rendering my ability to manage accounts, options, and the norton software useless.

I need help desparetly, and i DO NOT want to effing format my computer

that's not an option for me.

Comment

You can check with Symantec itself. Their site may have something or their tech support may be able to help you.

You can also remove it from the hard drive entirely by accessing the drive from outside windows. This will create some screwed up registry issues, though those may be fixable, certainly if you have a system restore point from before Systemworks was installed. You could also just move the files from there folder or even delete just the .exes so you can replace the files should you have problems.

Whatver happens, learnt the lesson here: Don't use Systemworks, or any Symantec retail security/maintenance program. Your problem is not unheard of for me as I've had numerous examples of problems with Internet Security and Systemworks misbehaving and needing uninstallation. Based on my own statistics of having worked with dozens of machines running Norton AV/SW/IS I can say for a fact that statistics show the programs cause more problems than they prevent.

Personally, were I in your situation, I probably would reformat and reinstall just so I could be sure there weren't registry entries or files on the drive from Norton.

Comment

You don't say what version of Systemworks you have so have a look at this page, scroll down past the NAV 2003 stuff and there is a heap of links to removal tools.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...01092114452606

I have to agree with Yawgm0th on this, SW etc are more trouble than they're worth
          E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Working...
          X