Laptop Ram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Ram

As I went to make this thread I realized that maybe we need a Laptop forum, and possibly a ram forum as well. This topic would fit in either, but it kind of fits here too.

My Main Question:

In general, is Laptop ram proprietary?

I used to think it was, but now I am thinking otherwise. I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 470CDT, and www.crucial.com says that I can upgrade to either a 64 meg stick or a 128 meg one. (32 built into the system)

Of course, crucial gives me two specific part numbers that aren't shared by any other model, and so I am asking you if I would be able to get memory (cheaper) elsewhere, and what standard I would have to buy.

How many standards are there? And which do I likely need? - I'm guessing PC66 (or PC100, PC133, with backwards compatability)

Thanks...

some laptops use proprietary RAM. the toshiba ones i have dealt with used starndard sdram for laptops. but some models dont. i can check for ya tomorrow

Comment

in the past, compaq have been known for using weirdo RAM, and not being compatible with other brands, just so you'd have to upgrade from them, i hate companies that do things like that

Comment

Originally posted by daedalus
        in the past, compaq have been known for using weirdo RAM, and not being compatible with other brands, just so you'd have to upgrade from them, i hate companies that do things like that
        just like Macs! @pple

Comment

yup, thats what proprietary means...

Comment

Birdkiller,

What method are you planning to use to check about the ram?

Comment

Working...
            X