• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corsair XMS vs. OCZ Plat rev 2

OCZ El Platinum Rev. 2 (Dual Channel) PC 3200

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...146-890&depa=0

Corsair XMS PC3200

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...145-486&depa=0

It seems a lot of people prefer the OCZ memory, but I've never used it before. I currently have the Corsair mem linked above, but I need to get two more sticks of RAM and I'm debating whether to get two more of the corsairs or to try the ocz. I would think having 4 gigs of corsair ram would be really good, but I'm not too sure if the dual channel and if the lower latency features are a good trade off for the extra MBs in RAM. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Corsair XMS vs. OCZ Plat rev 2

More than 1GB is a waste, and more than 2GB is rediculous. If you're talking about adding more RAM to an existing system, don't waste your money. It should be slower.

But for the record, the OCZ is better. The Corsair module is 1GB, too. Never get 1GB modules. They have terrible timings and you'll probably lose performance (not to mention money) in comparison with two 512MB modules of lower latency.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'll probably just sell my corsair ram with the rest of my old system then. I plan to get a Gigabyte sli mobo with 4 DIMM slots. Are you telling me that if I got 4 OCZ El Platinum Rev 2 sticks it wouldn't do any better than 2? Money isn't too much of a proble. I just want really good performance.

Comment

It would actually be worse because it would overclock slightly worse and have to be run at 2T command rate (suffice to say, that reduces performance). More importantly, it really wouldn't increase performance because your system is probably never going to use more than one GB of RAM.

That said, I'm not necessarily recommending that RAM. What is the system you're trying to use this on, and is it going to be overclocked?

Edit: Here's my response, since I can't seem to post in this thread ATM for some odd reason.

If you are going to be overclocking, go with OCZ PC4000 VX. It can go up to DDR 533 speeds at 2-2-2 latencies, which isn't possible for anything else ATM. I'd recommend DFI over Gigabyte, because it can actually supply the voltage necessary to get any of those RAM stick anywhere, while the Gigabyte really can't. If you already have the board and/or don't intend on overclocking much or at all, then go with the OCZ PC3200 EL rev. 2.
        Last edited by Yawgm0th; 03-09-2005, 03:02 AM.

Comment

The system will be:

GIGABYTE GA-K8NXP-SLI
          AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 2.4 GHz, 1MB L2
          <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--navigator--**not use**--><!--product title & limit quantity--><TBODY><TR><TD class=describe>ASUS ATI RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>I plan on watercooling the cpu and video card, maybe the chipset. I'm going to overclock it, but nothing major. I don't think this board is very good for that anyway.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

What RAM would you recommend, and I'm not concerned about price.

Comment

If you are going to be overclocking, go with OCZ PC4000 VX. It can go up to DDR 533 speeds at 2-2-2 latencies, which isn't possible for anything else ATM. I'd recommend DFI over Gigabyte, because it can actually supply the voltage necessary to get any of those RAM stick anywhere, while the Gigabyte really can't. If you already have the board and/or don't intend on overclocking much or at all, then go with the OCZ PC3200 EL rev. 2.

Comment

don't intend on overclocking much or at all, then go with the OCZ PC3200 EL rev. 2.
              If he is not overclocking there is no reason at all to spend $280 on RAM. He could get Corsair Value Select RAM and it won't make a noticable difference in performance at all.

Comment

I think I am going to change my decision on the motherboard and go with the DFI. I knew it was better all along I've just always used Gigabyte in the past. So, even though I'm not very experienced at it, I plan on overclocking as much as I can. Will that reduce the lifespan of my hardware?

Comment

Will that reduce the lifespan of my hardware?
                  YEs, but not by much depending on how much voltage you run through it. CPU's are built to last quite some time. IF you overclock them it may last 5-7 years instead of 10.

Comment

Working...
                  X