No announcement yet.

Anyone know how I can get my CMOS back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know how I can get my CMOS back?

I got an e machines computer with an intel 845 G/GL mother board that for some reason stopped working. When I try to restart it, the fan works for about a second then shuts down and nothing else happens. The mother board doesn't make any beeps, nothing comes on the screen, etc...I think my cmos is erased since I'm not getting any beeps or what not...anyone know how I can flash it back in or something? or do you know what the problem is? maybe its the from the cmos.
    Last edited by Armo; 03-27-2005, 02:03 PM.

Re: Anyone know how I can get my CMOS back?

Most times this has happened to me it was a short being created between the mainboard and the standoffs of the case. I fixed it by simply removing the mainboard and reinstalling it with small fiber grommets between the board and the standoffs. Just because the board doesn't make any beeps does not mean it is dead.

If this doesn't work, then you could very well have either dead memory of a dead processor. If you have a buddy with the same type processor, you might try that and see if your system will boot. Since the data to the CMOS is hard written, it is unlikely it has been erased. The battery may doe over time, but I doubt it has lost the hard-written data.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Shouldn't the motherboard post even without a cpu,etc...I removed it from the case, so I doubt its a short happening.

I'll see what I can do...I put in a P4 2.4 ghz processor in it a couple of months ago and I had the same problem...so I don't think the cpu has anything to do with it...and I'm sure the ram sitcks work too.

you know what is weird about this...since I bought a new computer, I decided to put the hard drive from my old one into the new one so I get more space right...and right after I rebooted, my fans in the brand new computer stopped spinning after a second and thats exactly what is happening to my busted up pc. So I'm thinking it was initially a virus in my hard drive that caused all this. I think it stopped my fan and over heated my cpu...and possible some mother board components.
      Last edited by Armo; 03-27-2005, 06:38 PM.

Comment

It is an unusual piece of malware that does physical damage to components. When you don't get beeps it is indicative of a hardware problem and the ones I listed above are the most common. While it could be a dead motherboard, I generally save this as a last area to check in the troubleshooting scheme since it is one of the rarer problems to come up. If you're sure the other components are good (try them in another system to make sure), then replace the motherboard. If it is still under warranty and you can RMA it, even better.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Armo
          you know what is weird about this...since I bought a new computer, I decided to put the hard drive from my old one into the new one so I get more space right...and right after I rebooted, my fans in the brand new computer stopped spinning after a second and thats exactly what is happening to my busted up pc. So I'm thinking it was initially a virus in my hard drive that caused all this. I think it stopped my fan and over heated my cpu...and possible some mother board components.
          So this problem started when you fitted the old hard drive?
          Did you ground out the static electricity from your body before installing the hard drive?
          Do you have the drives jumpered properly?
          Have you tried removing the 2nd hard drive to see if things go back to normal?

Comment

Working...
          X