Win XP and DDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win XP and DDR

Aight.. here is the specs on my machine..

AMD 1.1 Ghz
    512 of PC133
    ECS K7S5A
    80 gig Maxtor
    Win XP pro
    GF3 Ti500

I want to replace the pc133 with DDR, I have the DDR, its Micron memory... 2100... good stuff. Offically supported by the MB. Anyways....

I install it, take out the old pc133.. machoine BOOTS! All is seeming well.. Thenn.....

It TRYS to load windows and fails.. no error, no sound just sits there... I CAN Ctrl+alt+Del out and reboot.. and it does the same thing.. it does ask me if I want to try to revert to last known good config, tried that.. no go same deal.. Try safe mode.. starts loading of drivers.. and fails again. Same deal.. so I go ahead and uninstall the DDR, put the old pc133 in.. boots just fine.. no problems at all..

So I figure its Win XP not liking the DDR being in there.. I suppose I could just reinstall WIn xp, but I hate doing OS installs.. rather boring *HeH* Soooo

Anyone got any bright ideas? Something I missed?

Grae
    Oh.. I did try resetting the bios, see if that was somehow causing a problem.. no dice.

dont need a rocket science here.... that why i called by....

any way, guess what the ram is dodgey, can happen.

it might of just slipped past quality control or someone *coughes* gave it a static charge when inserting the ram chip...

well anyway take it back... if u took the right precautions, it should work

:snip:

Comment

One small issue.. I tested the ram.. its fine 8)
      (I tested it today after I posted)

Grae

Comment

It must be your memory timings in the bios then, make sure they are on "auto" or "by spd". Also make sure you have the latest bios for your mobo.

Comment

Check your jumpers bud, i have a mobo that also supports either sdr or ddr and to switch between the two its like changing ten or more jumpers from one thing to the other, you name it, and I had to pull a switcheroo on it. Its something with the mobo. Windows XP has no beef with ddr nor do i think it should, heck its just some memory. So my advice, RTFMM (Read the !@#$ Mobo Manual). I got 5 bucks that its a jumper you just need to switch.

-Hope i helped at all :shoot3:

-I have a PO box standing by for the five spot:cool:

Comment

have you tried any of the following:

1. Upgrade your Mboards bios

2. Tried other peoples DDR or just 1 (if u have couple)

3. praying?:devil:
            http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Aye, latest BIOS, memory settings are auto, ...

I did try someone elses DDR.. did the same thing... but my DDR worked just fine in his comp... ?

Annoying to say the least...

I suppose it MIGHT be a MB issue (Oh joy) I think once I get a chance I'll try puting an old HD in the system and see if I can get WOn XP to install and run with the DDR in.. if so.. then Its gotta be an issue with me changeing mem setup for XP.. meaning that XP was installed with SD and now has DDR and doesn't like it at all.. though why this would be the case I have no clue.

GraeOne

Comment

...it isn't that the OS doesn't like DDR. The OS doesn't have to, and doesn't, do anything different to support different types of RAM. You could have core out there for all the OS knows.

Comment

Time to totally rebuild the system. Yup thats right, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, get out your manual and start that damn pc from scratch. XP doesnt care about your RAM type, but if the Mobo decided it wanted to change some sort of number thingy in the BIOS and not tell XP bout it. XP's gonna be kinda pissed, and that means the system sleeping on the couch tonite.

If all else fails, throw parts of it at the ceiling and see if you can catch it. Trick is not getting that white cottage cheese stuff from falling in your eyes, thus making you unable to catch.

Comment

LOL, ur

Comment

you're the one that used to have "fotgot" in his sig.:p :geek:

Comment

I know it can't be XPs fault because I am running Windows XP with 512MB of DDR PC2100 RAM, good stuff :-). Anyway, I haven't encountered any issues at all.

Comment

I went ahead and reinstalled win XP over itself and it now works with the DDR.. go figure?

GraeOne

Comment

Well, it's defenitely not your memory. I had an Abit KT7A MB ver 1.3 with an Athlon XP 1700+ OC'd to 1.667 GHz and 512 MB PC 133 RAM. I changed Motherboards completely, to an Abit KR7A-133 to support my new 40 GH Maxtor 133 Hard Drive and it uses PC 2100 DDR memory. Booted up just fine.. had to find a few things here and there, but all's well. *S* Now I have an xtra MB with another Athlon 1000 MHz Axia Y processor and 512 MB ram.. guess I gotta get a case and put the rest of it together.. *S*

See ya!

Comment

Working...
                            X