No announcement yet.

Isn't it nice when something goes right...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn't it nice when something goes right...

I have an admin box in my office at work - all I use it for is email, office docs & stuff like that - I got it about 2.5-3yrs ago, it was a PIII500Katmai on an Epox BX3 (i440BX)

My hardware dealer happened to mention to me that he had some Coppermine128 Celeron 900's to unload cheap - I checked the Epox website and the max. listed for CPU compatibility for a BX3 is an PIII800e - they don't even mention CuMine128 Celeron's - but for the Price of a chip and a slocket (~$65US) I thought I'd take a gamble.

I flashed to the latest bios plugged in the Celeron - it booted up at 9x100 & identified it as a Celeron 900e - beauty
    I tried the same thing on an older box w/an Epox 61BXA(also i440BX) & PII400 - the epox website doesn't even list CuminePIII's as compatible - Same thing, it boots as 9x100 = Celeron 900e. Nice Sandra benches and everything

Even better, I plugged the 900 chip back ito my box and cranked up the FSB a few notches
    As I type this it's running at 9 x 133 = 1200MHz w/default voltages and the stock intel cooler.

So for a grand total of $300US I've upgraded 2 PII's and 3 PIII Katmai's to 900MHz - each with the potential to run at 1.2GHz.

I'm not an Intel fan but they do get something right every once in a while
    :thumb:

cool. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Comment

yeah, many people get into that habbit of knocking intel ALL the time....too expensive, too ****, etc...and while most of the time this is true:p ....they're not ALWAYS bad, eg. northwood, can't complain about that:D

Comment

hehe ...
        ok well my first post :) so yeah ....
        and YES i have a MAD pentium :P

just asking for any info peeps can give me about MINOR overcloaking ...
        all help is appreciated

ta
        joop

Comment

Well, it all depends on what system you have, give us some specs and we'll see what we can do :D

Comment

i must say....coppermine celeron at 1.2ghz:afro:

Comment

Originally posted by chisholm
              i must say....coppermine celeron at 1.2ghz:afro:

Admit it..... Tualatin Celeron at 1.2GHz even better
              What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

5 weeks later it's still running @ 1.2GHz - no lock ups, no instability.
                I also managed to swap out the old ATA33 drive for a 20GB ATA100 72k rpm (even thought the MB only supports ATA66) & I replaced the TNT2M64 with a GF3Ti200
                A fresh install of WinXP and it's like a whole new box :D :thumb:

Comment

If you think your mobo only suports ATA 66, then there's a chance your HDD is running at ATA 66...:p

Comment

Originally posted by daedalus
                    If you think your mobo only suports ATA 66, then there's a chance your HDD is running at ATA 66...:p
                    ...of course it is
                    but it's still better than the ATA33 drive I was running before.

the actual real world performace difference between an ATA100 & an ATA66 drive is minimal anyway (I'm not talking about Sandra or HD tach benches)

Comment

ummm alright... just checked ma mail ...
                      so here we go ...
                      i think i got a

17" LG Flatron
                      Pentium4 1.8Ghz
                      Gigabyte P4 titan (motherboard i rekon :) )
                      512 DDR Ram
                      40GB Seagate Barracuda HD
                      Samsung DVD and Samsung 24x RW
                      GeForce 2 MX 400 <--- dont flame me for that thanks.
                      Soundblaster Live! or Audigy (not sure)

yeah thats it ....
                      can i do da job ? :)
                      ooo also ... i didnt want one of those gh3y pics for ma name.... so how do i put one in there ?

ta
                      JoOp

Comment

RDR, I think that speaks very highly of Epox... its not just any board after three years you can exceed the limits planned by the board, and have it be perfectly cooperative and stable... :thumb:

Joop, i don't think we can help you here....
                        MINOR overcloaking ...
                        hehhehe ;)

Comment

lol u can't tell what soundcard u have?:p

Comment

Working...
                          X