PDA

View Full Version : Help me heal my PC

zeppelin
04-19-2005, 01:29 AM
Once again I've been attacked by a silly virus. This time my computer restarts about 10 sec after I've shut It down... Norton AV can't find anything. Is there a way of manual healing of this problem or do I have to format and start allover AGAIN???

Please help, the faster the better

Darthtanion
04-19-2005, 06:13 AM
If you're planning on fixing it instead of reinstalling the OS then you need to find out the variant you were hit with. From there you can get help in possibly fixing the problem.

computernewbie
04-19-2005, 08:59 AM
Try using online scans, symantec has one (or at least used to) also i think you can run one in the panda antivirus webpage, if you manage to find the virus archive erase it, if it is in use, create an start disk and restart in ms-dos mode and manually erase it. That should be the end of it (unless the virus copied itself in an system important file in wich case this is just the start of your troubles).

Amd_Lover2004
04-19-2005, 01:05 PM
If you look in your Application Data folder you may see something unusual, if you know you didnt install that application then delete that folder. I dont suggest this if you do not know much about what programs you(or others) have installed as you can make them not work as a result.

zeppelin
04-20-2005, 03:43 AM
I ran a full Norton system scan yesterday, but nothing was found at all.

At some point I actually could shut down the PC, but now the problem has returned. (I have unticked the field in the XP control panel that says 'Restart if systemfailure so this cant be the problem)

zeppelin
04-21-2005, 01:41 AM
It seems that If I remove the cable from my LAN port that goes to my modem, the problem goes away! I've disabled all the features in the APM of the BIOS, but when I try to shut down (while the LAN cable is connected) the PC still startup by itself. Sometimes after 20seconds and sometimes just 2.
I've used Norton AV, Microsoft Antispyware and AD-aware but without result.

This is a really annoying thing

wayout44
04-23-2005, 04:18 AM
Check to see if you have "Wake on LAN" or "Wake on Modem" (or similarly named) settings enabled in BIOS.

zeppelin
04-23-2005, 05:55 PM
Well I have NOT