Difficulty formatting Hard Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficulty formatting Hard Drive

I have a Maxtor 60 gig HD and was trying to migrate from Win ME to XP (applause anyone!). I used F-disk and made a C: and D: drive then formatted C: and loaded windows.

Windows gave me an option to convert to NTFS and I did so but could not figure out how to do same for D:

I actually got Win XP up and running then realized that if I wanted to keep C: for the OS and store data on D: the latter needs to be formatted. XP did not appear to give me an option for doing this.

I decided to erase the whole disk go back to F-disk and do it right the second time. I even erased the C: partition, which was NTFS.

Thinking I was now back to a C: and D: in FAT 32 format I tried to format only to get " wrong media type"

If I try to load the XP CD it fails to load, running Maxblast4 from Maxtor it tries to do a substructure check but craps out and the entire video goes crazy like an oscilloscope of wavy colours.

If I have erased the entire disk why should the hardware or software care? I cannot explain what is happening or fix the problem.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

The wavy full color screen thing was also happening after my initial XP install, the system would boot the, XP logo would come up, the little progress dots would do their thing then slow to a crawl and the video would go all wavy

Any ideas?

Athlon 1600
    ECS K7S%A
    ATI Rage 128
    512 MB DDR RAM

Thanks

Re: Difficulty formatting Hard Drive

Don't know what to say except that in XP you format drives under the disk management console. Don't forget to reset BIOS to boot from cd and restart with XP disk in drive. Is your XP and upgrade or full version? IF it's an upgrade you may need to have your ME disk on hand as "proof" for it to do the upgrade. Good Luck.

Comment

Re: Difficulty formatting Hard Drive

I seem to be having the same problem, i cant get my secondary(slave) HDD to be recognized, I cant format it. I dont have my cd's on hand today(dont have xp disk with me either) so I dont have any partitioning software other than whats built into xp. Any ideas on how to get the second HDD formatted and ready for use?

Its already installed and according to device manager is working properly and no problems... just a matter of assigning a drive letter and format.

Thanks.
      Derek.

Comment

Working...
      X