Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overclocking IBM Aptiva?

I am wondering if anyone can help me.

I have an IBM Aptiva 2178 82A PIII 733 on Slot1, 256Mb RAM, 32Mb TNT2 AGP card, varying hard drives ( i use cradles to boot different OS's ).

I have been trying to find a way to overclock this CPU, as i understand from others who have the same CPU that they havef been able to gain reliable speeds up to and exceeding 900mhz.

There does not appear to be any voltage or FSB adjustment in the bios, and Soft FSB doesn't work on this mainboard. Any ideas?

Also I have been trying to get a 64Mb Geforce 2MX200 AGP card to work in this machine, but it fails to post with this card installed. The card works fine in other machines. Is it possible that I have a board and card that run on 1.5volts instead of 3.3volts as per the new card? If so, is there a way around this problem?

I appreciate any help other users may be able to provide.

Thanks,

Bossman

One word:
    Brand-Name

ok, thats really two words..

anyway, you have yourself a brand name computer. Hence why nothing works!
    :)

The problem is your motherboard. It is physically missing fsb adjustment features, as well as support for cards that require that extra grunt.
    ...not that the mx200 has the said grunt, but still.

Comment

I seriously doubt that it is a 1.5v -vs- 3.3v power issue at play here. The AGP GF2MX cards that I have seen are all 2x/4x standards, so would work on either setup. But it IS possible that the proprietary motherboard in your IBM isn't supplying quite enough juice for the new video card to work. You might get with IBM and see if there are any known issues with installing modern video cards into this model of machine.

As for the lack of BIOS settings, Bahamut Zer0 hit the nail on the head. Most systems by IBM, Dell, Gateway, Micron, Compaq, HP... They have a majority of the settings removed from the BIOS when the system is built. The main goal here is to keep people away from there and cut down (significantly) on their tech support calls. It's amazing how much damage can be done by a single user with no clue.

A possible fix is to see if you can get an upfdated BIOS from IBM. Don't just get one that works on your chipset as this may kill your PC completely. I don't know if IBM disables these functions in new BIOS updates, but I have heard of some folks with branded systems having some luck in this manner. Also, you might look around for a different program for playing with the FSB settings. Different utilities work on different chipsets, so there may be one out there that works for you. A good place to start your search is www.majorgeeks.com

Good luck. :)
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Working...
      X