memory upgrade problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memory upgrade problem

<!--StartFragment --> I have an HP media Center M377n, and i am trying to add 1 GB of dual channel CMX512-2700LLPT to my motherboard. this memory is compatible according to all the internet sites. however, every time it gives me that only 504 mb of memory are installed, but all slots are occupied:
    Bank0: 512
    DIMM1: 128
    DIMM2: 512
    DIMM3: 128.
    i have tried to run windows memory diagnostic with no errors found.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Every stick was tested alone and the system booted. but when you add them together, the total remains at 504 mb.

Motherboard Specifications, ASUS P4SD-LA (Yale)
    Mb manufacturer: ASUS P4SD-LA
    HP name: Yale-UL6E
    System BIOS Supplier: ASUS/Award
    Board Form Factor: uATX
    Processor Brand: Intel

Processor Socket Type: mPGA478
    Front Side Bus: 800/533/400 MHz
    Hyper Threading Support
    Yes
    Processor VRM Specification:Northwood FMB2
    Chipset Name:Springdale-PE, GMCH rev A2
    Chipset 'North Bridge':865 PE, rev A2
    Chipset 'South Bridge':ICH5, rev A2

Super I/O

SMsC LPC47M192-NC

Flash BIOS Device Type and Density

FWH 4 Mbit

Memory Type:DDR SDRAMM (Supports duel channel)

Memory Speed:
    PC3200 (400 MHz),

PC2700 (333 MHz),

PC2100 (266 MHz)

Memory Sockets: Four DDR DIMM (184-pin)

Single or Dual Channel:Dual System Memory

Maximum Memory: Motherboard maximum:4 GB (4 x 1 GB)

Maximum HP recommended memory: 2 GB (4 x 512 MB).

Re: memory upgrade problem

You'll have to remove the 2x128 pair of ram sticks, or you're going to have problems.....and besides, 1gb of ram is more than adequate.

Comment

I have already tried that. So now I am running on the original 2X256 mb memory. And I am trying to sell the XMS memory and buy different sticks.
      Thank you very much.

Comment

You should not be trying to put high performance memory in an OEM mainboard as the BIOS does not support the higher voltages that high performance memory needs to run properly (normal DDR is 2.5v where as HP DDR requires 2.6v+).

Personally I'd sell all that memory and just buy 2x512MB PC3200 value modules.

Comment

Would've been better to replace the mainboard first, in that case.

Comment

Hi i have a pavillon a350n with the same mobo and i just change my ram for twinx cas2 1024 dual channel xms memory, i remove the 1.5 gb that i had before and put the 2 stick in the blue slot and every work fine execpt for the timing corsair said it could do 2.3.3.6 but i have instead 3.3.3.8 using everest software for reference but
            even at that timimg hi increase pcpitstop benchmark by 50 points.

Comment

...3 years later...

Hi, I'm having a RAM upgrade problem on this mobo as well, had 512K of kingston, just bought 2x1GB GSkill, all pc3200.

the computer will run with 1.5 GB, one new chip and the older one, or with just one new chip, but with both new chips it will not run, with just the 2 new chips it won't do anything, no bios, nothing; and with all 3 chips (2.5GB) it will freeze while loading windows

anyone able to help? the new GSKILL stuff is 3-4-4-8 I think (don't have it with me right now) and 2.6-2.75 volts I think, it should be the right ram, I used Newegg's ram finder, and, of course, it works at times.

Comment

It is the density of the ram that is the problem, this board likely does not support high density ram or double sided sticks.

Did you read the manual? It should tell you what it acceptable

You could also see what Crucial Memory advisor suggest as compatible, then buy from them or go from there based on the specs it provides to you. Here I choose HP already, you choose the rest and wait then hit "Show All" >>
                Top Manufacturer for Ram and Flash

Comment

thanks, I was thinking that the high density RAM wouldn't work, but Newegg's RAM finder said it was OK. It didn't work in another, very RAM compatible, computer either, so I was going on the assumption of bad RAM, If the new stuff doesn't work either, guess I'll have to heckle Newegg about their RAM finder and see if I can't get some Crucial at a GSKILL price :)

Comment

Do newegg's and Crucial's ram finders show the same or similar spec items? It should at least show you a few matching Crucial ones then you would know how reliable it is.

Very well could be bad ram you have, was it new or used?

Comment

Working...
                    X