Right of way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right of way?

Don't know if this is the right forum to post this in. I was invloved in a minor car accident today. I was in front of another car in the same lane. Another car stopped in front of me. We (my car and the car behind me) signalled to change lanes to overtake the stopped car in front of me. I slowly began to pull out into the next lane at the same time as he did. I was being cautious as i'm still relatively inexperienced, so I was pulling out not very fast. He, in his sport coupe, tried to take over me while I was slightly in the next lane. He clipped the front left of my car as he tried to accellarate away past me. He got a long scrath and minor dent on the right side of his car. He maintains that he has right of way because he pulled out the lane a fraction of a second before me. I always thought (since we were both signalling at the same time) that the car in front has right of way. Is he right or does the car in front have right of way? Sorry for the long message btw.

Re: Right of way?

as he had to force his way past then im fairly sure that you should have had the right of way.
    you might have better luck getting a response in a dedicated motoring forum though.

Comment

Re: Right of way?

Yeah. Nobody in the U.S. really understands the "right of way". I'm assuming you're U.S.? Anyways. Our drivers blow. I'm sure everyone has crappy drivers. Anyways. According to [U.S.] law he was still behind your car while you were both in the same lane and you had your signal on. Therefore him being behind you and hitting you is wreckless driving. [I've done plenty of research and had defensive driving classes]. Plus, if the scratch is at the rear of your car and at the front of his it means he hit you. My best friend had that same thing happen.

Comment

Working...
      X