Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ocing my amd64 3200 with memory problems(I think)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ocing my amd64 3200 with memory problems(I think)

Alright i tried ocing my amd64 3200 to 2.2 ghz, wasnt very succesful, my memory timings are 3-3-8-3, i tried 2.5-3-8-3 but windows wouldnt even boot up. I know how to oc the amd64 3200 with all the htt and fsb and everything else i just cant figure out what r some good timings for the ram. My memory type is in my sig if you want to know. If someone could help me, that would be great.

Re: ocing my amd64 3200 with memory problems(I think)

You need much better ram. I had Corsair XMS TWINX XL TCCD and it was pretty good, could handle 2.5-3-3-5-T1 @ 300MHz @ 2.85V. But the OCZ GOLD 3200 VX i have now cranks 2-2-2-5-T1 @ 260 MHz @ 3.9V! Try upping your ram voltages to say 2.75 or so and see what happens. And also use ClockGen and tweak your settings in Windows.

Either way, the AMD64 Venice CPU absolutely loves low low latency ram. The lower the better for overclocking. Hope this helps.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Re: ocing my amd64 3200 with memory problems(I think)

Better memory will overclock better, but your current RAM won't hold the CPU back at all, and will run at good timings if it's not overclocked far. Choose timings based on what speed you run the RAM at. If it's at stock, put it at stock timings. If you OC, bring them up as you go up in speed.

The exception is tRAS (the largest number). Set that to 6-8, 7 tending to be the best for nForce 4.

As for the OC, if you'd like help figuring out why you can't go very far, feel free to post more information (temperatures, your PSU, etc.).

Comment

Working...
      X