SATA or ATA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA or ATA

Got a friend who has an Asus A7N8X motherboard and after a new hdd.

I've recommended going for a SATA drive so he has the drive should he upgrade board later, but would then obviously need a controller card for current board.

What would you guys recommend please? The drive he buys will probably be to last, and wouldn't purchase again even if he did upgrade board.

Thanks

Re: SATA or ATA

Seagate in whatever size he needs. A Seagate drive will have a five-year warranty, which means it will probably last until it's hopelessly obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by stuarta
      Got a friend who has an Asus A7N8X motherboard and after a new hdd.

I've recommended going for a SATA drive so he has the drive should he upgrade board later, but would then obviously need a controller card for current board.

What would you guys recommend please? The drive he buys will probably be to last, and wouldn't purchase again even if he did upgrade board.

Thanks

Sata is suppose to be faster but honestly the difference is practically unnoticable in my opinion when comparing an ATA drive to a SATA drive of the same speed in the same system. I have both types in the computer I'm using and if your freind has to make an extra purchase for a controller card he might be dissapointed if he's expecting a performance improvent.
      On the other hand, a Sata drive does look a little nicer if you have a side window case since it won't have that big ugly gray data cable to hide. Also some of the newer and cheaper mainboards only support sata or atleast can have more Sata drives compared to ATA, so thats something to keep in mind if he's planning to scrap his current M-board soon.
      Last edited by Spongebob; 07-04-2005, 06:29 PM.

Comment

hmmmmm, thinking along the lines of a ATA now. If I upgraded his board I wouldn't go for a cheapy mobo, wouldn't dream of it lol, but doesn't help with him saying "whatever you think best"

Comment

I'd get SATA. It costs about $5 than a comparable PATA drive, and the slight advantages are worth it.

Comment

Working...
          X